"I do not sound like that," I protest.

She gives me a pointed look and even point her finger at me. "Yet."

I slap her finger away and flick her nose.

"But really though. If you like this guy, don't push him away because of something he didn't even do."

"But he did. That's the thing. It was just luck that he didn't die."

"Do you know why he did it though?"

I look down at my lap.

"You didn't even ask him why? Jesus Addy."

"It doesn't matter why though. He would've killed him anyway."

"Do you really think he did it with the intention of killing him? From the way you described the situation, it could've been self defense. What if you would've gotten hurt if he didn't do it."

"It doesn't matter... It doesn't excuse what he did."

"You're right. It won't make it okay. But it'll give you some peace."

My mouth opens but nothing comes out.

Hailee gives me a triumphant look. "You know I'm right."

I give her a reluctant smile. "When did you become so wise?"

She gives me a big sarcastic smile back. "Heartbreak tends to do that."

We both stare at eachother before we laugh. Loud.

"God, when did we become so pathetic and boy-dependent?" Hailee asks.

"We're not boy-dependant. We just know how to appreciate fine company."

Then we both laugh again, and for a moment it's loud enough to silence my worries.

...

I walk out the school doors and spot Jackson instantly. 

My feet pause at the top of the stairs leading to the parking lot. His back is resting against the passenger door of his truck, arms crossed. His gaze is wandering around everywhere and nowhere at the same time. 

And when his gaze finds mine my heart feels lighter and my mind becomes empty for a split second. 

If I push him away now he won't disappear. It's too late. Every time I see a black truck I'll be wondering if it's Jackson driving past me. Every time I see green eyes I'll see Jacksons eyes staring at me. And every time I look up at the stars I'll be imagining I'm back on his rooftop, his voice telling me stories about the stars. Telling me his story.

It doesn't matter, I think. It doesn't matter if he really killed someone. He's not a killer. Someone who shows you the stars can't be a killer.

Jackson lifts his hand and waves at me. I fall out of my trance but keep eye contact as I walk down the stairs. 

But then Jackson picks up his phone and holds it to his ear. I'm to preoccupied to notice I've reached the bottom of the stairs, thus causing me to loose my footing on the last step.

"Shit!" I swear as I stumble into someone.

"Wow, where are you headed?"

I look up and see Tyler. I look past him but Jacksons not there anymore. I see him getting into his car and the engine roars. 

He's leaving? 

"I can't talk right now Ty," I say. I try to walk around him to reach Jackson before he drives away but Tyler grabs my arm.

Lethal Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें