| 19 |

"So, how about I claim my reward from the bet we made last week?"

I balanced my phone between an ear and a shoulder while carrying a tray of baked cookies to place in the oven and laughed. It has been over a week since that bet we made in the cinemas and you still obviously hadn't forgot about it. If only I knew that one scream could cause me this much, then maybe I should've just settled with a rom-com instead.

"Easy there, tiger. I still have a shift to finish."

"But you've been postponing this for days now. I need you to perform the end of your bargain."

I chuckled at your childish antics and leaned against the kitchen wall. "Fine. What do you want me to do?"

There was a beat of silence from the other line and I used that moment to brace myself for the worst. But instead, another surprise came.

"Go out and hangout with me."

"What?!"

You chuckled. "Okay, so, I wasn't expecting that mortified reaction. I was going for a more surprised one, but sure."

"Hey, you can't judge me. I wasn't expecting that."

There was a hum of unconvinced agreement from your line, then: "so, wanna try out golfing?"

"Do you know how to play golf?"

"Oh, Serenity," you mused, "there's a lot of things you don't know 'bout me."

I rolled my eyes and pushed myself off the wall. "That doesn't make me feel secure in coming with you."

"You don't have to feel it," you said, voice dropping into a more sultry octave and I felt the beginning of a blush spread across my cheeks. "You just have to believe it."

I wanted to argue with you, but before I had the chance, a beep resounded from the other line.

Great.

Just as I was about to grab another batch of pastries to bake, Imogen passed by me, glancing at my smiling face for a brief moment with nothing but an accusing tone of disappointment in her eyes.

"What?" I blurted out without thinking and she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Oh nothing," she said, almost drawling the syllables out in a lazy song, "just checking if you still have your wits and principles in tact."

I bit on my lip. This was the exact reaction I knew would come from her. Imogen was a tough, hard-headed and very opinionated girl. For the most part, I was amused to watch her grill people about what was right, but now that I was on the receiving end of her judgment, I realized how uncomfortable and annoying it was to be scolded and frowned upon for the actions that I already knew to myself—are wrong.

Controlling the bubbling irritation at the pit of my stomach was the right thing. Imogen was my friend and I knew that she was only looking out for me, but I couldn't help it. It was as if I was so starved to have a stolen moment with you, Sean, that I was willing to look past my principles in order to do so.

"I know what I'm doing, Imogen. I'm not a kid who needs lecturing," I snapped at her, my eyes slowly narrowing as folds of anger began to boil within my chest.

Imogen was obviously taken aback by my sudden outburst. It was the first time I stepped up against her. She took a step back as if I physically slapped her and instantly, guilt began to takeover my anger—I wanted to reach out and say a million sorry's, but I braved through it and stood straighter which she watched with disappointed and resigned eyes.