Chapter 8--A Blackhole is Actually a Dead Star

Start from the beginning

Kellie jumped up with glee, "Thank you so much Parker you're a lifesaver."

We sat on her couch and I explained to her everything she missed. We were supposed to have a test this week but it got pushed back. I didn't mind going over the notes with Kellie. Mainly because teaching someone the material I'm supposed to know helps me learn it better.

"So did you like the Manny Dean movie?" Kellie asked after we went over the notes.

A few days ago, I went on that "double-date" with Kellie, Jackson, and Pierce. It didn't really feel like a date, it felt like a group of friends getting together for a movie. And trust me, I know the difference. I guess the best part about it was that we all are friends, it was just Kellie that seemed to have a misleading interpretation that it was a "double-date."

Kellie latched onto Pierce the moment he and I arrived. She stuck by his side even when he came to mine or when Jackson went over to Kellie's. Jackson and I ended up having many different and exciting conversations while watching Kellie try flirting with Pierce. Pierce was a gentleman about it and didn't push her away. But he toned down on his flirting and occasionally gave Jackson an apologetic look.

In full honesty, I wasn't paying attention to everything we did. We went to dinner at a burger place and then to the movies. The whole time, I was overly excited about seeing the movie. Then afterwards, I was freaking out so much about how amazing the film had been, that my mind wasn't comprehending what people were saying.

"It was so good," I nearly yelled. "Did you see the theatrics too? Oh my God Kellie, I love Malcolm Dean so much."

She laughed softly, "I know Parker. I know."

"Did you like it?"

"Surprisingly...yes." Kellie gave me a small smile before looking down at her hands.

I frowned realizing my friend was in distress, "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah everything is fine," Kellie said way too quickly while pushing a smile. She went over to her mini-fridge and grabbed some of her roommates left overs. She heated them up in the small microwave and started sharing the food with me.

"You can tell me Kellie," I said munching on a soggy french fry.

There's this common trait people have that when they want to talk about something, they look sullen and depressed. Yet, when you ask if they're ok, they reply their perfectly fine when they obviously aren't. A small part of them always wants to talk about it, but their scared of opening up or showing their true emotions. And the only reason I know this actually happens is because I do it, and all my friends seem to do it too.

Kellie sighed—signaling to me that she was about to open up—she turned her whole body to face me. "I got friend-zoned."

Maybe I should have been more surprised but I wasn't at all. I gulped, "By Pierce?"

Kellie looked down. Her voice soft with dismay, "Yeah."

I frowned, "I'm really sorry Kellie."

I knew it was going to happen, but seeing Kellie so disappointed about it managed to make me feel worse. I never thought Kellie was going overboard with flirting with Pierce. She wasn't a girl that flirted with every guy she talked to, in fact she doesn't flirt with a lot of people in general. When Kellie talked about Pierce it was more in the 'crush' stage. But I know she was hoping that it would advance to something more serious. I never wanted to tell Kellie what Pierce said to me because playing telephone was never something that appealed to me. Now I wish I had said something, simply to help cushion the blow.