Chapter 15

Chapter15

Wow! Thera stood up, feeling a little stunned, and looked over at A’pratti’ka, standing in a ready stance a few meters away holding her lightsabers, still lit and lowered to her sides, her head tilted slightly toward Thera. Meeting her gaze with her glowing red eyes, A’pratti’ka took a deep breath, and stood motionless, as if waiting to see what Thera would do next. In the distance, Thera noticed the Zeltron disappear from his vantage point. She let out her own breath she realized she was holding, turned from the scene and began at a brisk pace back toward her brother’s body.

“Thera,” called A’pratti’ka, “wait!” She extinguished her blades and set off in a jog to catch up her.

Thera shook her head silently and felt herself begin to weep as she began quickening her pace. The revelation from the Jedi seemed to shed a new light on the level of importance everyone seemed to be placing on her. The Force was with her; she could feel it through her body. She understood it now, differently than before. She was not simply a target to be executed by the Sith; she was a threat to be eliminated. That was her destiny. She shook her head at the realization, closing her eyes as the notion washed over her.

A’pratti’ka caught up to her. “Thera,...” She reached for her arm.

“Don’t touch me!” she scolded pulling away, maintaining her stride.

“Thera, what Mykall said...”

“What that Jedi said was the truth!” Thera said with a snap, stopping suddenly and turning with a glare to face A’pratti’ka.

“Your thoughts betray you, Lady A’pratti’ka! Your purpose depends upon my survival, for the moment at least. Your manner is warm and tender, but you have your own agenda for me, like everyone else!”

A’pratti’ka inhaled deeply, but held her response. Thera continued, “All I ever wanted was to become a Sith, duly engaged in bringing order to the galaxy, like my brother and my father before me. The Force has been strong in my family, and I have only just begun to truly realize how important that is, to everything, and apparently to everyone. Becoming a Sith Lord was what I dreamed of in my youth, and since the beginning of this Sith life, I have experienced anything but order. This has not been what I ever expected. As far as I am concerned, the Jedi may be abysmally short-sighted, but the Sith are ruthless and chaotic, and they no longer have what I am looking for!

A’pratti’ka started to speak, but Thera held up her hands. “Excuse me, now, while I go and mourn for my family!” Thera turned again and abruptly resumed her former stride. A’pratti’ka stood silent for a moment, watching her leave, and then called to her. “I’ll be waiting here for you, Thera, when you return. Your destiny awaits you!”

Thera could feel A’pratti’ka’s smile on her back, resenting every bit of it as she rounded the last corner of the giant turbine she had vaulted over earlier. Jev’s body was lying peacefully where she had left it. She paused a few meters from it, gazing at his long and lanky muscular form, wrapped loosely in his cloak. She knelt down and pulled his hood over his head and carefully wrapped his cloak tightly around his body. Then she lifted him in her arms and began carrying him toward the mining compound’s entryway.