third year ➤sirius who?

Start from the beginning

I promised myself that by the end of those two months, I'd have somewhat of a clearer idea as to what I wanted, what my feelings were towards Harry. Yet here I am, as clueless and confused as I was at the beginning of July. No progress made whatsoever.

Oh well, no time to think about it now. Hermione and I are doing some last minute packing, well, I'm doing some last minute packing, Hermione is 'perfectly on schedule, as per usual'. The two of us are leaving today, heading to the Leaky Cauldron for the night since we officially leave for our third year tomorrow. In fact we-

"You know the reason you don't know how you feel about Harry is because every time you begin to think about him, you push those thoughts aside and distract yourself with something else."

I look at Hermione feeling extremely violated. Since when can she read minds? Greatest witch of our generation, fine, sure. But mind reading?

I squint at her through the mirror she stands before, brushing out her curls. "How many numbers am I thinking of?"

Her reflection rolls it's eyes at me. "I'm not reading your mind, dummy. It's just common sense. You're going to see him you know, and it's going to be awkward as is."

"I know, I know," I wave my hands at her. "I just. . . well maybe he'll know what to say! Yeah that's it!"

Hermione scoffs and fully turns to face me. "Have you met him?"

I sigh. "Yeah, you're right. He's oblivious, isn't he? Well, maybe I'm overlooking this whole thing, maybe it meant nothing to him and he just wants to stay friends."

Hermione shakes her head and walks over to where I sit at the foot of her bed. "Don't think like that, y/n. Don't let your worrying create thoughts that you know aren't true. Just, see him. That's all you have to do, and then maybe
you'll have your answer."

"Girls! Time to go!"

I smile at Hermione and grab my trunk feeling butterflies in my stomach the whole way from Hermione's room to the car. Finally. Finally, finally, finally we're on our way home.

It's a long drive from the Granger's to the Leaky Caldron, but that's unbeknownst if it's because of the midday traffic, or the anticipation of our arrival.

When we do finally get there, Hermione and I jump out of the car so quick we're almost hit be oncoming traffic. Whoops, I think as Hermione and I exchange a glance and Hermione's father reminds us that London drivers aren't the most cautious of people.

We bid her parents farewell, I once more express my thanks and appreciation for having housed me for the past two months. They respond how they always do, in telling me that I'm welcome anytime, and that if they don't see me come Christmas time, then they'll see me me next summer.

Hermione and I enter the Leaky Caldron and I find myself behaving quite similar to a puppy, unable to focus on anything for longer than a second, my eyes constantly scanning my surroundings. Squirrel!

I'm so tuned out that I don't notice the woman in front of me until it's too late. I walk right into her and fall back onto my behind. More surprised than hurt I just shake myself off and move to stand up. But the woman, who apologizes profusely even though it was fully my fault, rushes to my aid and helps me up as if I'd just been hit by a car or something.