second year ➤the free elf

Start from the beginning

I breath a sigh of relief knowing that Hagrid will no longer be held accountable for a crime Tom and I, I guess, committed. I follow the red headed boy out, allowing Dumbledore and Harry to have a moment to speak privately.

I wait outside of Dumbledore's office for a matter of minutes before I see someone approaching down the end of the hallway. I squint my eyes, trying to see where I've seen that person before-oh no.

I turn on my heels, racing up to Dumbledore's office and barge inside. Harry and Dumbledore both turn to me quizzically and I take in the scene before me.

"So sorry to interrupt..." I pause when I see the bloodied up sword in Harry's hand. "Should I come back?"

Dumbledore chuckles. "No need. I think we're done here."

Harry nods, signifying me to go on. "Well, I ran in to warn you that one of my least favorite people is going to burst through that door at any moment no-"

I'm interrupted by he himself, Lucius Malfoy pushing open the door dramatically and allowing it to slam behind him. Dumbledore doesn't even flinch. Lucius scans the room, and flashes me the upmost look of disgust when he sees me to which I stick my tongue out at him and pretend to cast curses on him when he walks past me.

"Dobby?" Harry asks the familiar house elf who trails aside the Malfoy man. "So this is your master. The family you deal with is the Malfoys."

My heart breaks when I see poor Dobby, eyes filled with fear, flinching every time Lucius moves a muscle. It reminds me all too well of how I used to look when I lived with my parents all those years ago. I feel absolutely awful that Dobby serves the Malfoys. Speaking of, Dobby glances up at Lucius, terrified and I begin to think that Harry probably should've kept to himself that he knew Dobby. I don't want to know what kind of punishment he just inflicted upon the helpless house elf.

Lucius glares at Dobby, eyes wide before he sneers, "I'll deal with you later." Dobby visibly gulps as Lucius then turns and shoves Harry roughly out of his way. "Out of my way, Potter," he hissed as he approaches the headmaster's desk. "So it's true-"

Tuning out Draco's enraged father, I kneel down and call out to the little house elf.

"Pssst. Dobby."

Dobby turns to look at me, glances nervously at Lucius, before slowly approaching me once he realizes Lucius is distracted.

"Miss (l/n). Pleasure to see you again," Dobby bows.

"Dobby, I had no idea you were a house elf for the Malfoys," I reply rubbing some dirt off of his wrinkly face.

Dobby flinches at the mention of the family's name, but shrugs. "Dobby has it better than most house elves I'm afraid."

I sigh, watching him sadly as I pats his head. "Is there anything at all I can do to help you be free?"

Dobby's eyes involuntarily light up at the word 'free', but they quickly return to their fear-filled state. "Alas, there is nothing one can do besides wait until the faithful day in which Master presents Dobby with clothing, granted that day ever comes."

I nod understandingly at the optimistic house elf and I hope, I really do that one day he'll be allowed to live freely.

Dobby looks over at Lucius once more. "Dobby should get back before master Lucius realizes he has disappeared."

"Ok, and I'm sorry for breaking my promise, I truly did everything in my power to keep Harry safe this year," I tell him honestly.

Dobby smiles and nods at me. "Dobby is sorry that in doing so, you forgot to protect yourself."