V

Louis lay in his bed wrapped in blankets, trying to stay warm when the december weather had turned colder than usual when it had never been like that before. He couldn't afford to get sick now that he had a baby on the way that he had to stay healthy for, knowing what was coming as soon as it was born. He tried not to move too much, not wanting the cold air to sneak in and make him shiver all over again like it had happened before. The force of his shivers had made his lower back and left shoulder hurt.

He was dozing off again when he heard his door opening, and seconds later Howard walked in making Louis stiffen. His hand covered his baby bump trying to protect his baby from the monster in his bedroom. He slowly sat up glad that Howard at least had thought about bringing an oil lamp with him and when he sat down next to him, Louis slowly scooted a little away.

"You're cold." Howard stated, seeing the way he was shivering.

"It'll pass soon." Louis shrugged, "Is there something you need? If you want to sleep with me then I need to remind you it isn't safe for the baby. It's my first pregnancy." Louis said, not in the least ashamed about telling him an old wive's tale.

"I know that. Louis...my bedroom is warmer. Why don't you stay there." Howard finally said, taking Louis by surprise but quickly recovered.

"I'm fine here." Louis mumbled, looking down at his lap just waiting for him to hit him.

"Louis..." Howard said through gritted teeth.

"I said I'm fine here. Just because we're– I'm going to give you a child doesn't mean we're going to start acting like a happy family." Louis finally snapped, flinching when Howard grabbed his left wrist in a tight grip.

"Fine then, but if you get sick and it harms my son it will be on you. Not even Liam will be able to stop me from giving you the beating you deserve." Howard glared, then let go before he got up and left slamming the door after himself managing to make Louis jump up a little.

Louis went back to his old spot trying to get warm again and when he finally felt warm enough, he closed his eyes and fell asleep dreaming of green eyes and dark brown curls. When Louis woke up the next day he felt slightly hot, seeing someone had thrown another blanket over him and instantly knew it had been Liam. When he got up he shivered a bit as he got dressed, and when he was done he sat down on his bed just staring straight ahead with his hand caressing his belly.

He doesn't know how long he stayed there until Liam brought breakfast up to his bedroom since Howard was having his own at the table in the dining room where Louis usually ate. He wordlessly started eating it, not feeling hungry at all. When he couldn't keep it down he knew it was nothing to worry about as long as he wasn't dehydrated.

He continued like that for the rest of the week, unable to even get out of bed with only Liam, Lucy and sometimes Nick helping him out. When he finally started getting better a week after, he was able to at least get out of his bedroom but was never allowed by Howard to go outside of the house. He would spend his days sitting next to Lucy who was now in charge of making clothes for the baby instead of cooking in the kitchen since Louis didn't know a thing about it. Howard wouldn't give him a cent to buy clothes for the baby, much less allow him to go outside so that would have to do.

"What color do you want the new blanket to be?" Lucy asked, snapping Louis out of his thoughts.

"You can make it white, I don't know what I'm having until I give birth." Louis said, picking up a ball of white yarn to give to her, then went back to thinking about him wondering what he was doing.

"Just five more months and you'll know." Lucy smiled, and for a moment Louis wondered how such a bright young woman like her had ended up stuck in the hell he was forced to call home until he realized that not everybody had been born to wealthy parents like his own had once been.