Chapter 19: Discussion

The sky set down on the horizon as nighttime approached. Reaching twilight, the firmament began turning into a hazy orange color. A gentle, dry wind scattered the dust in front of the police department as four figures exited the department and hopped on one the of the car. 

The questioning was very fast and the three of them were proven innocent. On top of it all, they had found a priceless ally, an ally that happened to be a private investigator working undercover with the same mission as theirs. Joshua, Rick, and Emma was pretty much nerve-wracked inside the question room moments ago since it was their first time to ever be in one. But now, as Karl drove them out of the police station,  they began to calm down, easing themselves in the comfortable backseat of his black sedan.

" So, when did you and your friends start sleuthing?" Karl asked them.

" All our parents were missing. And the only clue we found was Emma's childhood friend who happened to be connected to the accidents that kept happening to us." Rick informed him.

" You mean, the PULL is running rampant everywhere right now?! But how? The Quillers stopped that project after realizing what it could do. How, how could someone activate that. Besides, it needs a large amount of power source in order to work." Karl muttered.

One thought rang in their minds. Power plant.

" He seemed to be behind all the kidnappings as well." Emma added. " The kidnappers not only kidnapped the Quillers and my parents, they are also kidnapping the parents of those affected by the PULL, as far as I know."

" Theoretically speaking, I think he is not kidnapping for the sole purpose of it. I think that the mastermind has his own ulterior motives." Karl continued.

" Probably to gain intelligence for the PULL." Rick surmised.

" Probably, yes. But why did he kidnap your parents as well? So far, you are the victims being affected by the PULL, but your parents doesn't have any useful data or intelligemce regarding the PULL, right?" Karl asked.

Rick and Joshua nodded. They could still remember the first time they were harassed by the PULL. How they had experienced a series of accidents ever since...

Their father disappeared!

Joshua wasn't thinking about it at first, but now, he could finally read between the lines. Somehow, my dad is connected to all these occurrences. The combat training. Swimming lessons. Fitness training. And most of all, the pocket knife that he had given me right before he disappeared. Could it be that, he was kidnapped as well? One way or another, he is connected to this and he knows something. He wouldn't let me carry that pocket knife around without a reason, right? Joshua thought.

" Joshua, Joshua? Are you okay? You seem pretty pale?" Emma asked him.

" I'm fine. Just remembered something." Joshua asked. " Emma, why do you think Rick and I got a pocket knife with us all the time?"

" That came out of nowhere." Rick said.

" I guess you probably realized that that's the only way to stop the PULL, right?" Emma confirmed.

" No, mine was actually given by my dad before he disappeared." Joshua said.

" Mine too. Funny right? It's like the same things has been happening to us." Rick said.

" I think, our parents know something about the PULL that we don't. Otherwise, our dads wouldn't have given us pocket knives without a reason, right?" Joshua continued explaining. " I think our dads didn't just disappear. I think they were kidnapped as well. And somehow, they were able to warn us right before they got kidnapped. Unfortunately, we didn't get it at that time."