Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

My mom came home around four and she found me cooking in the kitchen. “Hey sweetie. What are you making?” She set her purse on the table and sat on the stool beside the island.

“Mom! Come help me! What are you doing ? Don’t just sit there!” I shouted at her while mashing the potatoes.

She looked surprised, “Rain, why are you so frantic? Your dad and I won’t really mind what you make. In fact we can order take out if you’re stressed out.” She went to reach for the phone but I pushed it away.

“Mom,” I sighed, well I did have to tell her eventually that Josh was coming for dinner. “Josh, umm, yea, he’s ughh coming to dinner tonight..” I moved on to cutting up carrots, and concentrated on that instead of looking at my mom.

“Who’s Josh sweetie?” I can practically hear the excitement bubbling up inside of her. Of course she’ll be excited to meet my first boyfriend.

I didn’t want to look at her but I put down the knife and looked up at her smiling face. I swear she looked like a kid who’s been told that all their dreams is about to come true. I couldn’t help but smiling at her, “I’ve told you about him before.. He’s my urmm boyfriend.”

“Well I remember you mentioning a boy you like but I don’t recall you actually saying that you have a boyfriend.” She looked at me raising an eyebrow. I look down again, I usually told my mom everything and I feel bad that I didn’t even tell her about me and Josh. I heard her push her seat back and came around the island. She hugged and said, “It’s okay Rain, I don’t expect you to tell me everything. It’ perfectly fine. But if Josh is coming to dinner you should go get ready. I’ll do all the cooking.” And she turned me towards the door and gave me a light push, I turned around and gave her a hug.

“Thanks mom!” Giving her a peck on the cheek.

“No problem sweetie.”

I turned on my heels to leave but before I left I said over my shoulder, “He’ll be here at 6!” And then I ran up the stairs knowing fully my mom will go crazy trying to make something good in less than two hours.

“What?!” I heard her yell, “Rain all you’ve made were mashed potatoes and chopped carrots!”

I closed my bed room door behind me and laughed. I wasn’t really going to make dinner, truth is, I can’t cook very well and all I know how to do is mash potatoes and cut carrots. So I knew my mom would take over for me. I looked at the clock and saw it was already 4:45. I went to the bathroom and turned on my straightener and put on a little bit of makeup. I just have to think of what to wear. Should I wear something casual? Or formal? Maybe semi-formal? I heard the door open from downstairs, knowing that it was my dad just coming back from work. My mom probably called him and told him we’re having dinner with Josh. He’ll probably take over for my mom so she can get ready. I smiled, hoping that someday Josh and I can be like my mom and dad. I think they’re the best couple ever, they’re completely opposite’s but they just fit, you know? Kind of like me and Josh. I ended up wearing this white skirt with a gold halter that my mom bought me but I never wore because I didn’t want people at school thinking I was a wannabe or whatever.  I heard the door bell ring, I look at the clock but it was only 5:20. He’s way too early but I still run down stairs and throw the door open. My face falls when I see who’s at the door....

 ___________________

So I changed the title of the story, cause it didn't really fit the story. And I know it's been forever and I'm so SORRRYYY! But I'm getting back into it so please wait just a little more?