Once upon a time...

It would have been better if we all had died, but Anna would not had wanted that. I thought hard what would be the safe place for us, since it felt as if Italy was not safe for us anymore. But the pain from her death clouded my judgement.

"Brother rest your eyes, I will find a place for you all to be safe." my best friend, Marco's voice soothingly said. He took the bundle off the bed. I kissed my twin babies's sleeping forms before he took them with him hidden in a box. My oldest stood and toddled to me, his eyes serious and large. I had not realized I was crying until my son wiped my tears that slid down my cheeks. How could I tell him I could not protect his mother?

"Son, you must go with your uncle Marco. Daddy will be there shortly. Be very quiet and protect your brother and sister. Marco will keep you safe until I can join you in our new home."

He nodded his sweet face in understanding and went inside another open crate with breathing holes in them. Marco came back in the room and put a lid on the crate yo take my son to the truck with his sister and brother. "Are you sure you want to do this Stephen?" Marco said sadly.

"Yes, I need to know they will be safe and no one will be after them. If I don't make it to our meeting place, follow through with our plan without me. Remember, your sister Anna and I are counting on you to protect our children.  Keep them safe and make sure they are loved and happy. But mostly safe from the fighting."

"You can count on me. I love you as much as I loved Anna. You are my family too. I will keep them safe, you have my oath."

"That is all I can ask from a true friend and brother. They are the last of my direct blood line and family. They must be kept safe. I don't care if they never know who they are as long as they are happy."

"Stephen, Are you sure that the witch can be trusted and the binding spell really works?" Marco asks me.

"It has to, it will mask their smell and blood to everyone except their soul mates. Once they are marked, their true self will be revealed. But not before then."  

I sadly watch as Marco drives off with a few of my most trusted men to keep them safe from my father. Now I can set my plan in motion to eliminate the threat to my children's lives.

I wait two weeks to give Marco plenty of time to get away with my children.drive to my father's castle knowing whar awaited me there. I know the dangers of fighting my father, but I have no other choice to keep my children safe from their evil, power hungry grandfather.