second year ➤back to diagon alley

Start from the beginning

Diagon Alley is probably one of my favorite places on earth. What with the bright, shining atmosphere and the millions of things to see and do, it's nearly impossible to feel sad or bored there. Both sadness and boredom being feelings I was very familiar with in my day to day life before I entered Diagon Alley, the first beginning of my new life as a young wizard.

I think about all the places we'll visit, all the supplies to acquire. Seems significantly more than last year, but then again this year I don't have to get a wand. The trip to Ollivander's last ye at was interesting to say the least. I can't help but to recall the words he had told me, a year ago now, when I'd purchased my wand.

"A wand like this requires great responsibilities. This wand is one of the most powerful in our world. Only an extremely talented wizard can use this wand. And when it comes the time, you must choose, choose what kind of wizard you will be. This wand will decide your fate, I hope you choose well."

Perhaps Mr. Ollivander has got me confused with some else. I'm subpar at school, I don't seem too special though if you ask me, hardly worthy of a wand with so much power. Still I can't help but to wonder, what exactly he meant when he asked me to choose what kind of wizard I'll be, when the time comes.

We've finally arrived at the Leaky Cauldron. Jumping out of the car we race through the pub and to the back. Hermione taps her wand in full concentration on the brick wall that really is an entrance to the wizard world. I watch in fascination and they bricks swivel and turn and I swear this sight will never cease to amaze me.

Hermione pulls out her list and begins to announce the items we need to get. Quite easily I tune her out as I marvel at the shops and people and atmosphere in general. I absolutely love it here.

We get our money from Gringotts, well my money, in return for the Grangers putting up with me all summer, I offered to pay for Hermione's school supplies. While the first few times they denied my offer, I finally convinced them that I had more than enough money to cover my own school supplies and would feel severely guilty if I did nothing in return for them providing me with shelter and food for two whole months.

Hermione glances at her watch. "We've got about a half an hour to kill before we've got to meet the boys. Granted they remember the date and time the four of us had arranged to meet that is.

"Surely they'll be here," I reply. "Ron's letter said he'd saved Harry from the Dursley's and that they'd be here as promised.".

"So," Hermione begins. "Aren't you just ecstatic for this year? The material we'll be covering will be so much more interesting than it was last year, now that we can finally move beyond the basics."

"See that's the difference between us, Hermione," I begin teasingly. "I'm excited to be with our friends at my favorite place on earth whereas your probably excited for our final exams."

She laughs. "True, although I must admit, I've quite missed those boys, the headaches they give me and all."

I chuckle and nod in agreement. "Yep, we're lucky to have em."

Hermione slows her pace. "Although we'd never tell them that."

I nod quickly. "Never."

We walk into one of the stores where I purchase food for Rose, my owl. As we leave in the midst of a heated debate about which of the Hogwarts professors is the best-McGonagall-she suddenly begins running away from me.

"Hey!" I call after her. "Just cause you were gonna lose doesn't mean you need to abandon me!" I yell chasing after her.

I see suddenly why she began running in the first place and joyfully quicken my pace to catch up to her.

Harry Potter is surely no longer the same height as I am. He's grown over the summer, clearly. He looks older as well, as older as one can look in two months at least. The butterflies that flutter around in my stomach when his eyes meet mine and his smile gets even bigger tells me that no, I have not shaken off this crush that's developed over the past year.

"Hullo, Hermione, (y/n)," Hagrid says smiling down at us.

"Hi Hagrid!" We say, turning our attention to our giant friend.

"It's so good to see you," Hermione says facing Harry.

"Oh, it's great to see you too," he responds. "Both of you," he says smiling and turning towards me.

I smile and wrap my arms around his neck. "Heard you had quite the summer. Two months with the Dursley's didn't mess you up too badly did it?"

He laughs and hugs me back. "You have no idea."

"What did you do to your glasses?" Hermione asks as the two of us pull apart. I look to see that indeed there's a crack on one of the lenses of Harry's glasses. Luckily for us, Hermione's quite the genius when it comes to remembering spells. "Oculus Repairo."

Hermione smirks at her brilliance as Harry takes off his glasses and shakes his head. "I'll definitely need to remember that one."

"No one needs to remember anything ever as long as we've got Hermione," I say and we all laugh.

"You'll be all right then, Harry?" Hagrid asks to which he nods. "I'll leave you to it, then."

We bid him farewell and I lock arms with both of my friends as we walk towards the book shop.

Finally, back to normal at long last.
************