first year ➤detention

Start from the beginning

Detention? Are you bloody kidding me. It's not like we were just galavanting around the castle, we were downright trying to stop a thief.

The last sentence McGonagall speaks though puts me in at least a bit of a better mood. I turn and flash the blonde haired boy a satisfied grin, serves him right for spying on us. Confusion grows though when he doesn't react, he just keeps that smirk plastered on his face.

"You're aware she said five, are you not?" I sneer at the Slytherin.

This catches Draco's attention and he flashes me a look of disgust. "Obviously I heard her I'm six feet away from her."

I roll my eyes in disbelief of the idiocy of the boy before me. "How many of us are there, Malfoy," I nearly shout throwing my hands up in exasperation. "Count, I dare you."

I can see Hermione, Ron, and Harry try to stifle back their laughter, I can even see McGonagall trying to hide the tiniest of smiles. As Draco Malfoy finally realizes that he too, will be joining us for detention.

May I say, the look on that boys face is absolutely priceless.

"Excuse me Professor," he tries, scowling at me. "Perhaps (l/n) over there heard you mistakenly. She seems to think you've said the five of us."

"Miss (l/n) has heard correctly," she responds bluntly. "You see, as honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours, you will join your fellow classmates in detention."

If looks could kill, Draco Malfoy would've just murdered me.

"Off you go now," McGongall says shooing us all to bed.

I'm the last to leave the room and I wait a few seconds behind my friends, turning to the professor who sits at her desk shuffling papers around.

"I'm sorry, Professor."

She looks up almost surprised at the gesture and nods in response. "Very well, Miss (l/n). Off to bed with you now get some sleep."

The walk back to the common room is uneventful. Ron and Harry briefly laugh about the look on Draco's face among realizing he'd be serving detention along side the rest of us but Hermione and I walk in silence. Hermione probably worrying deeply about her now not so flawless record and I fearful for what detention at a wizard school could look like. I've received detention before, at my old school, plenty of times. All that consisted of though was sitting through recess or clapping together chalkboard erasers after school. Now that I'm at Hogwarts, the sky's the limit for them, they could vanish me for all I know.

All thanks to stupid snitch Malfoy.

-

My stomach has been sinking all day the nearer the clock gets to our scheduled detention. Now, it feels like I'd eaten rocks for dinner as I walk glumly across the damp, grass further and further away from the castle.

Not one of us speak as we make our way over to Hagrid's hut. Not even Draco to taunt us or to remind us of our lost points.

Maybe it's just the tension, but it feels like hours since we've left the castle grounds even though it's only been a few minutes.

Filch pushes past me grunting. "Pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons.... God I miss the screaming."

It's scary how unsurprised I am by the undoubtably deranged man.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do," Filch faces us and smiles sadistically. "I side the dark forest."