first year ➤more letters

Start from the beginning

Ron and I wait up, as we do every night, until finally, Harry emerges from the portrait hole. He takes off his invisibility cloak and says immediately, "Goodnight, guys."

"Harry wait!" I call after him.

"We wanna talk to you," Ron adds.

Harry jumps off from his spot on the second last step that leads to the boys dorms and walks over to Ron and I.

"Sure," he replies oblivious to the issue. "What's up?"

Ron and I glance at each other nervously, neither of us knowing exactly how he'll take this little intervention.

"You need to stop going to that mirror," I finally confess.

"You're obsessed with it," Ron says agrees. "It's concerning us."

Harry blinks at us. "Guys, I'm fine," he denies. "You need to just stop worrying about me, ok? I know what I'm doing," he gets up and walks over to the stairs for a second time. He then turns and faces us, a look of excitement on his tired face. "Besides, I think I've almost figured it out."

"Well that went well," Ron grumbles as I get up to grab another sheet of parchment paper and return to my spot in front of the fire.

"What're you writing now?" Ron asks peering over my shoulder nosily.

"He thinks he knows what he's doing," I reply, neatly printing out a name at the top of the letter.

I turn and face Ron. "He hasn't a clue."

Dear Professor Dumbledore...

-

I look at the clock eyes widening when I see it's already 1:00am. Harry usually comes back around midnight, never later than 12:15.

I pull the letter I'd receive this morning out of my pocket and reread it for the hundredth time.

Miss (l/n),
Thank you for this information regarding Harry Potter and the Mirror of Esrid. I understand it can be very hard to ignore the power of the mirror and I ask you to resist sneaking out at night in Mr. Potter's new invisibility cloak, although I know you will most likely ignore this instruction at least at some point during the rest of your time here at Hogwarts. I will go and visit Harry Potter tonight, thank you again for voicing your concern, he's lucky to have a friend like you.
Albus Dumbledore

I yawn, feeling my eyes getting heavy but I force myself to stay awake. Ron's already in his room asleep so I have to stay awake to make sure Harry gets back. The harder I try though, the sleepier I get so I slowly stop resisting and close my eyes, just for a minute.

"(y/n)!"

I jolt you and the sudden shaking and look around the common room. Nothings changed, I just fell asleep. I turn my attention to the green-eyed boy in front of me then glance at the clock. 1:30am.

"You're back," I yawn stretching out my arms.

"Yeah, sorry I took so long I didn't realize you'd wait up for me this late," he says guiltily. "Dumbledore came to visit me this time."

"Really?" I ask playing dumb. "Why?"

He shrugs. "He said someone was worried about me... thank you for worrying about me."

"Surely I don't know what your talking about," I reply refusing to meet his gaze.

Harry laughs. "Yes you do, Dumbledore told me everything."

I feel my cheeks heat up, unsure of why I feel so flustered about Harry knowing that I care about him.

"Dumbledore's right though," he continues. "I am lucky to have you."

I finally turn to face him. "So then, you're not mad?"

"Not at all," he replies. "You were right. I should've just listened to you and Ron."

"That's true I'm always right."

He scoffs. "Oh hey, you never told me what book you took out of the library."

"Oh right," I remember.

I run up the stairs of the girl's dormitory and take the book from it's hiding place, under Lavender Brown's bed. Hidden there specifically in the case that they ever were to do a search for this book, cruel as it sounds, she is rather annoying and I really like this school, I'm not about to get expelled.

I bring the book back down into the common room and pass it to Harry.

He picks it up and examines it. "Azkaban? Because of your mum?"

"Yeah," I reply. "I dunno I guess I thought I could find out what she'd done or I guess try to understand what she's going through in there now. I don't know, I just figured that-"

"I get it," he interrupts looking at me sympathetically. "If my mum was alive, I'd wanna know too."

We sit in silence and I feel myself falling asleep again. I deem the walk upstairs too long for the little amount of energy I have, so I lay down my head and fall asleep there on the couch.

The next morning I wake up in the common room to see Harry passed out on the opposite end of the couch and I smile.

Harry and I grew up with similar lives so we understand each other quite well. More so it's becoming more and more clear that we think the same as well.

That's why, even if it's for something as simple as falling asleep in the common room, he would never leave me left alone. Because that's something we both realize, we can never let the other go through again.

*************