Hatstalls and Staff Changes

Start from the beginning

"Oh don't remind me," whimpered Alice.

Frank wrapped his arms 'round her shoulders.

"Yes, do shut up," Lily murmured.

Sirius stuck his tongue out at her back, then drew his wand and whispered muffliato and turned back to James again, "And who's that bloke there at the staff table? That nutter there?"

James followed Sirius's gaze. To say nutter was the only way to describe the man that Sirius was indicating. He was older, with a mostly bald head - what hair he had hung in a scraggly sort of wild ring, and he was unshaven, with thick stubble all over his chin and cheeks. He wore thick, thick square glasses with very narrow silver frames and a gap-mouthed grin that made him appear a bit less than entirely sane. He did not wear the traditional teacher's robes, but rather wore a loose white cotton shirt with three done done buttons at the neck - and a silver chain about his neck that gleamed in the reflection of the thousands of candles levitating overhead.

"Bloody hell, he looks --" James floundered for a word. "Interesting."

"Bet he's the new Defense teacher," Sirius murmured.

"What? The Prewetts aren't here?" James scanned the table quickly and, indeed, there were no Prewett brothers. He scowled, "I bleeding enjoyed their class, too."

"Add another name to the long list of Defense Against the Dark Arts Teachers promotional merchandise. I was taught by the Prewetts 1975-76! Collect them all!" Sirius said, shaking his head.

James sighed. "Well, I hope this one isn't a dudder. I'm trying to become an Auror, I don't need any fuddy duddy Defense teachers!"

"He looks fuddy duddy, look at him, bloody hell. Looks like he stuck himself into a Muggle electrical socket, like that Einstein bloke."

James laughed.

The nutter man was watching the sorting with a gooey sort of nostalgic look about him, his eyes gleaming, near to tears.

While they were talking, two new students had been added to Gryffindor - Bosley, Patton and Castle, Christopher - and they tuned in just in time to witness Darrens, Janis go to Ravenclaw. For the next thirty minutes - for there were several hat stalls - they all watched the students split and run to their houses. They gained Finch, Madeline and Jenner, Coby, as well as King, Micah, and Nox, Gwendolyn. Then --

"Odair, Edgar."

Everyone in the Great Hall looked and Lily stared up at the boy as he climbed the steps, shaky kneed, looking such a lot like Jasper, except shorter and stockier, with a smattering of dark freckles over his nose.

"Poor thing," whispered Lily.

Edgar sat on the stool and wrapped his fingers around the seat and McGonagall dropped the hat upon his head.

It was the longest hat stall of the night. The hat wobbled and deliberated as poor Edgar Odair's mouth moved, silent to the school, whispering a conversation with the Sorting Hat, his little face wincing and trembling as they spoke.

"Bleeding hell, kid, stop chatting with the ruddy hat and get a go on, some of us are fucking hungry," Sirius muttered, his stomach growling to emphasize his point.

"I know, gods he's taking forever," James said. "What's the bloody hold up, of course he's going Hufflepuff, just like Jasper was, right?"

Lily was leaning forward, biting her lip.

Finally, after over five minutes - the longest hat stall that had been seen since 1947 - the Sorting Hat called out, "Alright then -- GRYFFINDOR!"