A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) FIFTY

The day for the Kim family reunion finally came around. To say that JongHyun was nervous was an understatement. It was going to be a dinner party type thing so he would have to wear something formal… Not a suit but at least a button up shirt.

            “How about this?”  Onew asked, holding up a uniquely patterned tie that JongHyun hadn’t even known he owned. And by uniquely he meant unflattering and totally ugly.

            “Do you want me to reunite with my family or not?” JongHyun asked.

            “Sorry… I don’t have the fashion sense that Key has,” Onew apologized.

            “Where is Key? He promised to come help!” JongHyun exclaimed while collapsing on the bed.

            “He’s stuck at home, but he’s trying to get here just give him some more time.”

            “I don’t have time! I have to leave soon!”

            Onew let out a hefty sigh, not capable of dealing with the irregular emotions of the short boy. In his last ditch efforts to try and help he attacked the pile of ties and mismatching shirts once again. His fingers didn’t move with the haste they once had but he couldn’t abandon the boy in his current state.

            “JongHyun… Why don’t you go and do your hair? Or something?” Onew suggested when he grew sick of seeing him pace the length of the room.

            The other boy nodded, deciding to heed the order considering there was nothing else he could do. Just as soon as he had shut the door behind him the door to the apartment opened. A flustered Key flew through, carrying a bag in each hand. His usually pin neat blonde hair was set askew atop his head, poking out in a variety of different directions. There were wrinkles in his clothing as if he had picked something off the floor to wear instead of carefully picking out each article of clothing. It was totally uncharacteristic of Key.

            “Yah! Where have you been?!” Onew demanded, never having been happier than in that present moment.

            “Is that Key?” JongHyun asked from the bathroom.

            “I’m sorry I’m late!” Key apologized, dumping his bags on the bed. “My aunt and uncle just spontaneously came by and brought all my cousins with them and of course I get stuck taking care of them! I tried to get away as soon as I could but it was impossible! I’m sorry!” By the time Key had finished his speech JongHyun had the door opened. He launched himself into Key’s arms to embrace him in the warmest hug he could manage making it seem as if they hadn’t seen each other in years when the truth was they’d seen each other just the other day.

            “Why didn’t you call m?” JongHyun’s muffled demanded.

            Key clung to his boyfriend, hoping the action would help him in being forgiven. Their dramatic moment lasted a mere five seconds as they needed to start preparing the panicking puppy.

            “Okay! First things first: that shirt needs to go!” Key yelled. With those words spoken each boy got into action, ready to aid JongHyun in any way they could so he could finally mesh back in with his family.

~

            The Kim house towered above JongHyun in the most intimidating of ways. His knees wobbled a bit – nearly buckling down completely – as he looked at it. It was just the same as before with its pale bricks and sloped roof. He recalled playing in the winding driveway with his sister and his father teaching him how to ride a bike and letting him crash into the neighbour’s tree.