chapter twenty-eight.

holy grail.

●-●-●-●

Myra sat behind the wheel of her car with Michael in the passenger seat. She drummed her fingers against the steering wheel to the beat of the song playing on the radio.

An appointment had been scheduled for her to have an ultrasound with her OB/GYN. Myra was excited ever since she woke up. She got to see what her baby looked like.

They pulled into the parking lot and Myra stopped the car once she pulled into a parking space. They each shared a look at each other with a smile. They said no words but the excitement within them was obvious.

They shielded their eyes with sunglasses before they stepped out of the car. She pocketed the keys before they went to enter the building.

A bell overtop the door ringed as the couple walked inside. Myra sat down while Michael informed them of their arrival. One of the women at the desk nodded and Michael sat by his wife.

"Are you excited?" Myra asked as she leaned her head in his shoulder.

"We get to see what our baby looks like," smiled Michael and Myra one that was a yes.

Her stomach was the average size for someone three months pregnant. It showed certainly, but she was able to keep it hidden. Baggy shirts and sweaters were her main go to.

Next year's Grammys were questionable about whether ahe would attend. After all, she was due in February and that was the same month as the Grammys. She was worried that she could go into labor at that exact day.

Myra was eventually called back. Michael went with her as he was allowed. They followed a female doctor who's name was Alicia Stacey.

They were lead to a room where a single bed lay in the middle. Different medical tools were around the room and a monitor was by the bed.

"Myra, if you will just lay down here we can get started," the doctor instructed and Myra did as she was told.

She removed her sweater and set it down beside her. The doctor messed with a few things before she pulled a pair of gloves on her hands.

"I just need to lift up your shirt, is that okay?" The doctor asked and Myra nodded.

The doctor lifted her shirt to reveal Myra growing stomach. The doctor placed her hands on her stomach as if feeling around for something. When she was satisfied, she moved on to the actual ultrasound.

She squirted a gel on the top of a wand sort of thing. She then pressed it into Myra's stomach. The monitor above them lit up with the picture of her stomach with the shape of their child in the middle.

Myra couldn't help it but watch. The child moved but Myra felt none of it. She felt nothing but love for the child on the screen. She couldn't wait until she finally met the baby but that had to wait for February.

Michael didn't want to look away. He loved looking at the child -- one that he helped create. He loved it with his heart.

"There's your baby," the doctor pointed out. "It's too early to tell the gender, but around four and half to give months will be the perfect time to tell. I get get you two an appoint for then if you want."

They each shared a look with each other. Myra wanted to know the gender of their child, but she also wanted it to be a surprise. Michael also wanted to know the gender as soon as possible.

"Will you please?" Myra asked and the doctor nodded.

"I can print these out for you if you would like," the doctor mentioned, referring to the ultrasound.

They answered with another yes. They still had to tell Michael's family and Myra had to tell her family. They were the only ones who knew besides Shaylynn.

Myra, after getting the gel cleaned off her stomach, fixed her shirt. She held the sweater in her hand as she walked out of the room. She paid with a check before they left and the ultrasound prints in her hand.

She kept them in her lap as they drove back home. She stopped for gas at a gas station as her car was close to empty.

She went inside the station and stood in line behind a guy buying cigarettes and a six pack of beer. When he finished paying Myra took his spot.

"I need twenty on pump number two," said Myra simply and the cashier behind the counter obliged as he handed him the twenty.

"Will that be all--" the cashier asked before he stopped when he saw exactly who he was speaking to. "You're Myra Jackson!"

"I am, and that will be all," Myra continued, just wanting to get her gas and leave.

"Of course," he said, still in a state of shock. "Can I have your autograph? I'm a really big fan of your music, especially your song TKO."

"You can," agreed Myra as he fumbled for a pen and paper. "I love seeing fans."

She clicked the pen and began to write on the black piece of notebook paper. She peered briefly up at his nametag which showed his name was Robert.

Robert,
I love you and all of my fans! Thank you for all of the support.

Myra Jackson

She gave him the paper and he gladly took it. She returned the pen and went to go pump her gas.

Michael sat in the car, the prints in his hand. A small smile grew on her face when she saw him. She put the pump in the car and began to fill her car.

When she finished sat sat back in the car. She pulled away from the gas station and joined the cars on the road.

Back at their house, they sat on the couch together. They kept the prints in their hands looking at it.

"We have to tell your parents and mine. They can't go forever without knowing," began Myra, breaking the silence.

"I know," breathed Michael.

"Maybe we can when we find out if it's a boy or a girl?" She recommended and Michael nodded.

"That's a great idea," he smiled, his hand resting gently on her stomach.