Chapter 14 // History

Start from the beginning

Lucy shook her head rapidly. "Addy, you have to walk by the bar and it's a Saturday night. There will be plenty of drunk people and it's really dark out. Just let him drive you, it's not worth the risk."

I sighed. I have never worked the late shift before so I do suppose that taking the risk might not be the best idea. "Alright. But at least let me bring you some gas money tomorrow."

He slung his arm around my shoulder, pulling me out of Fabulous Florist and towards his sedan. "You don't have to. Your presence is payment itself."

I burst out laughing at his snide remark, sensing the hint of sarcasm there. "You're such a loser," I complained, sliding into the passenger seat. It was still quite confusing being on the opposite side of the car than what I was accustomed to in America.

His finger twisted the volume dial and let the overplayed mainstream music from the generic Top 40 radio station play. "Oh I'm the loser? You're the one who only has like three friends!"

"That would make me a loner not a loser," I protested playfully, watching as he drummed his hands against the leather steering wheel to the beat of the song. "Besides, I actually made two new friends today."

"Luke and Ashton are friends with anyone who has a vagina," Mikey stated, rolling his eyes at me.

"Oh, now it makes sense as to why they were friends with you."

I expected him to be slightly offended, but instead he threw his head back and cracked up, almost seeming to be cackling at my witty response. "You're too much, Addy Winters."

My throat became dry from all of our giggling today. I spotted a bottle of water resting in his cup holder and gripped it in my hand. "Can I have a sip?" I asked politely. Michael's eyes flickered from the road to my hand and he nodded. I lifted the bottle to my lips and instantly he reached over and smacked the end of it, making me drop the bottle and for water to spill all over my chest. "Michael!" I screeched.

He burst into hysterics again. "That's for calling me a loser," He explained as he caught his breath. "Nice bra, by the way."

I realized that the liquid had seeped through and made my white shirt appear to be sheer, revealing the pink bra I was sporting today. "You're such a pain," I whined, opening the door when we pulled up in front of my house. I would walk over to Calum's after I cleaned up a bit for the sleepover that I was quite anxious about. "Thanks for the ride, Mikey."

He nodded, following closely behind me as I carefully unlocked my door. His hand gripped my wrist before I could step inside my house and he spun me around, placing each of his hands on my waist. "You're an incredible girl, Adelaide," He whispered, leaning forwards.

I registered what was happening and put my palm against his lips, dodging his kiss. I didn't mean to have lead him on. Our relationship was strictly friendly, I didn't feel anything romantic towards Michael, and I feel bad that he might have misread my behavior. "Michael," I said breathlessly. "I, I can't kiss."

"What do you mean? It's easy, Addy, you just put your lips together like this," He stated while leaning in again, this time much closer, and his hot breath tingling against my skin.

"No." I put my hands on his chest, pushing him away. "No, I can kiss. I just, I can't kiss you. I'm so sorry."

"Why not?" Michael barked, although I could tell it was due to being hurt by rejection, not for actually being angry with me.

I swallowed. The lump in my throat seemed to be growing to the size of a bowling ball. My teeth were chattering. My lips were quivering. My lungs were breathing quicker than usual. "Um, well, I have a boyfriend."