Chapter 14 // History

Start from the beginning

The cardboard box was a banner for the beautiful pizza sitting in the middle of it, cheese falling off the sides and a slight layer of warm grease covering the top of it. I instantly snatched a piece and took a bite, moaning in delight, and then collapsing onto the chair next to the redhead. "Sorry I couldn't come the other night," I told Lucy, using one hand to cover up my mouth since I was currently chewing with my mouth open.

She grinned at me. "It's alright, Addy. You did miss out on Michael being an obnoxious drunk who cried anytime he was left alone, though."

"At least I wasn't dancing like an idiot to the Cheetah Girls," Michael countered, sticking his tongue out at Lucy. She pushed his head softly, her fingers getting tangled in his mess of hair. A look of pure adoration covered her eyes as they shared a giggle, and I wondered if she had a crush on him. My girl senses were tingling and I had a feeling that at least one of them were smitten.

"I would have loved to see that," I admitted, initiating another round of chuckles. "Oh, Michael, Ashton Irwin says hello."

"Are they back in town?"

"Yes, I just met them. They seem like some nice guys," I said shyly, suddenly regretting bringing Ashton in conversation because I was aware it might stir up some conflict.

"Is he still extremely hot?" Lucy inquired, wiggling her eyebrows at me. I nodded my head in confirmation, making her squeal. "I used to have the biggest crush on Ashton. He was a year older than us, but he still hungout with everyone in the grade below. Such a good kid. He was very obnoxious, but he always smiling, wasn't he Mikey?"

"Lucy," Michael hissed, which only made her giggle from her own teasing. His face had paled and he seemed to be in a daze, which worried me. "Ashton, Luke, Calum and I were all good friends, Ad. Not anymore, obviously, but yeah. I hope he's doing well."

Our shift continued with three of us sitting by the large metal table, Lucy and I diligently working on our custom bouquets while sharing one of our numerous nonsense conversations. Laughter and an old classic rock CD filled my ears. Work was much more enjoyable when you are so distracted by conversations that you don't even realize you are doing any streneous work. I loved the echo in the large room due to how silent it truly was in here with the absence of any customers. It was just three of us and the flowers, and I didn't want it any other way.

"It's ten o'clock?" Lucy exclaimed as she glimpsed up at the clock on the wall behind us. Our shift ended at eight, meaning that we've willingly been here for an extra two hours. "I better be getting overtime for this."

I giggled, collecting the finished bouquets and placing them on their shelves, ready to be twisted with ribbon and plastic film tomorrow and sent off to whomever may recieve them. I hung my apron back on the rack and dusted my clothes off, removing any excess bits that might have lingered onto my attire. "Well I'll see you guys tomorrow then?"

"Yes you will," Lucy said happily, giving me a short embrace as she slid her card down to clock out.

Michael raised onto his tippy toes and retreated the curtain from the window, glancing out of the glass. He made a face of uncertainity. "Adelaide, it's really dark outside. You shouldn't be walking home this late. Let me drive you."

"I'll be fine," I assured him, knowing that in this quiet town I would be more than capable of handling myself. It was a short distance to my home.