Chapter 8 - Would be happier if I smacked your girlfriend with a bat instead?

Start from the beginning

Throwing me another kind smile over her shoulder, she walks out of the door. I close it behind her and sigh.

The blouse is a little too tight around my chest and but other than that it's fine. After trying to untangle the knots in my damp hair with only my fingers, I give up and go to find Mrs. Woods to thank her for the clothes.

I walk down the corridor, pausing before Ryder's door and contemplating if I should knock or not.

But then I remember his behaviour and huff once before walking away.

I know that he had a one hundred percent right to react like that. Just because I have a crush on him doesn't mean he has to have a crush on me. I stop in front of a mirror which is hung in the hallway and look at myself.

Round face, round nose, rusty brown hair that now looks even more weird wet and dull brown eyes stare at me. Thick hands and waist remind that I'm no runaway model like my best friends. And me looking down upon myself like this remind me that I'm no confident Lara Croft like Leah either.

Obviously he was angry at me being called his girlfriend. Anyone would be.

I shake these thoughts away.

Shut up, Lisa! You're not one of those insecure girls in the stories! You hate them remember?

But I hate them because they can't see how lucky they are and always feel sorry for themselves. And now as I look my reflection in the mirror, I realise it's not that I don't see how I really look. It's just a fact that guys like Ryder will never think twice, at least not in a romantic interest, about girls like me.

The delicious smell of pancakes interrupt my thoughts and I sigh wistfully. Forgetting all off my previous depressing thoughts, I all but fly in the direction of the smell.

Mrs. Woods is standing before the kitchen counter humming a tune to herself. Two plates full of pancakes are stacked on the table before her. Hearing me come, she looks up and smiles, "Come on in dear. You must be hungry, take a seat."

My stomach rumbles in answer but I feel the need to decline, "I'm really grateful for your hospitality Mrs. Woods-"

"Oh enough with the Mrs. Woods!" She cuts me off, "It makes me feel like an old woman. Call me Carla."

I chuckle, "Okay Carla. As I was saying I'm really thankful but I really should be going now. My parents will be worried that I'm so late."

Lie. My mom won't be finishing her shift in the hospital till 10 on and my dad is in California for a business meeting.

You just don't want to face Ryder do you?

Shut up.

"Oh nonsense!" Carla shushes me, "I didn't make all of these pancakes only to throw them in the trash."

Before I could protest she gives me a glare, "Don't even think about saying how nice I've been. Anyone would have done this. Please dear, won't you listen to the request of one old little woman?"

Glancing at the pancakes one last time, I didn't need much convincing. I sigh and smile at her, "Tell me, where in the world to you get those manipulative skills?"

She chuckles and motions towards the pancakes, "Help yourself."

I slowly make my way towards the table, taking in my surroundings. The house may be small but in no way is it dirty or uncomfortable. Every spot is cleaned neatly. The walls are a dark brown colour with a cream coloured ceiling. The corridors are the same. The wall beside me is adorned with family portraits. I absent mindedly go to stand before them.