"You've stopped wearing it." he noticed as it was the first time that I had not worn my Algerian love-knot. It surprised me that he had noticed.

"Ah. Yeah. It was time." I replied.

"Time enough to get over someone?" he asked closer.

"To realize that sometimes you can run away from your past." I reply with a small smile tugging on my lips.

My cell phone rang at that moment and I grabbed for it to see the message. I was always expecting them to write or call, this time it was a message. I have to go and soon, leave James and everything behind, steal the money. I try to cover for myself so James doesn't notice something is wrong.

"Though apparently not your employer. Back in one month." I say as I fake type the message and drop the phone on the shelf, "Come on, walk me down. I'll get money, you get supplies." I say with a smile as I throw a pillow at him. 

We go down in the lift and we step out in the lobby, arm in arm as happy as can be. I take a look around and the man who I saw from the boat is in the lobby near the concierge. He must be the one. 

"Someone you know?" asks James, pulling me back from my thoughts.

"No, I just saw him in the canal." I reply innocently.

"It is a small town. Meet you back here in half an hour?" asks James as he wraps his arms around me.

I kiss him passionately, knowing it will probably be the last one ever. I give him a smile and I leave for the piazza San Marco. I turn around every now and then to see any men who would be sent by the others, but I am also being wary of James. As I reach the bank, I recite the account number in my head and I cannot help but tear up for a moment when I remember the password that James gave, my name. I withdraw the money and am given an aluminium briefcase which I then take. I leave the bank and make way for the address they have given me. 

I make my way through the crowded streets and walkways, aware of looking quite obvious with a shiny briefcase in hand. I have little time until I need to be at the building. I can sense a horrid feeling in my stomach, a sense of fear and disgrace, but I keep going. I approach the meeting area and I wait in the empty courtyard which is surrounded by construction panels. I see two men, Gettler and the other man I saw in the hotel walking towards me. I hold the briefcase tightly in both my hands in front of me.

"Hello dear, who are your friends." I suddenly hear James say.

My heart stops as if covered by pure ice and I am left with no words. He knows. He caught me in my doing, in my betrayal. The face he wears if full of hurt, deception, and anger. I don't blame him. My neck is suddenly held captive with a dagger threatening to cut it. I catch my breath and stand motionless. I see James tense up but there is nothing but anger in his eyes. 

"I'll kill her." says Gettler, bringing the dagger closer against my skin.

"Allow me." says James and I cannot help but let out a gasp. 

He wants to kill me. I've deceived him and now he wants to get rid of me. I deserve it but I couldn't believe it. I hurt inside as if a chainsaw has been put instead of my heart. Suddenly, an exchange of fire happens but I somehow stay intact. I am dragged off into the building under construction and I try to turn around to see James and the only thing I see is him running away from bullets. 

Gettler punches me in the mouth, to which I react with a split lip and blood trailing down my chin. He drags up a set of stairs and pushes me into an empty elevator cage. The whole place looks like it's about to go to shit anyway but my head turns as I start to look around. I see blurry images and a massive headache is taking over me. I see a figure run up to me where I lie and I try to make it out but the only thing I see is the hatred in James's eyes.