Chapter 4

A quarter moon had passed since the fight between Stonekit and Swiftkit. Since then, Diamondrain's kits had opened their eyes. They both had blue ones like their mother.

Bloodkit had been there at the time. He remembered when he'd first opened his eyes. It was an amazing moment to see his mother and father's pelts, the nursery, and the camp. He wanted to see their moment. Coldkit had opened his eyes while climbing onto his mother's back. He'd squeaked out in surprise when he'd seen her. "You're eyes are so blue!"

Diamondrain had purred and touched her nose to his. "So are yours, little one."

Mistykit's eyes had opened a few moments later. Bloodkit had been sitting in front of her, waiting eagerly to see her moment. When it came, she had stared at him for a long while. "Wow!'

He'd been nervous, suddenly feeling guilty that he had been the first thing she'd lain eyes on. "W-what is it?"

"Your eyes!" She'd squeaked, leaning toward him until her face was pressed to his. Bloodkit was afraid their eyes would touch if she came any closer. "They're like the sun!"

He had purred in amusement. "You don't even know what the sun looks like!"

"Now I do!" She'd exclaimed. "Like that !"

The warm green-leaf air was beginning to fade away, replaced by a cool autumn breeze

The warm green-leaf air was beginning to fade away, replaced by a cool autumn breeze. The majority of the trees on ShadowClan's territory were pine trees, however, a couple oaks stood nearby, their branches stretching over part of the camp. The leaves on the trees melted into shades of orange and red, before drifting into the clearing.

"Look at that one!" Bloodkit exclaimed, letting out an excited purr as he pounced onto a bright red leaf, planting his forepaws firmly at its center. He twitched his ear. The one that Stonekit had scratched. It was split a little at the tip. It didn't hurt anymore, but it felt funny. Dewstorm had told him that he would get used to it. The split would never heal. It would remain with him his whole life.

Swiftkit purred in amusement. "It would match your pelt if it was a bit darker." He raised his head, pointing his white muzzle at the sky as he studied the trees. "What do you think leaf-bare is like?"

He followed Swiftkit's gaze at the trees. "What do you think snow is like? I can't wait to see it!"

"Leaf-bare isn't something to look forward to."

The kits turned to see a dark brown and gray warrior padding over to them. "Prey is scarce, and snow is cold on your pads, and leaks through the dens. Cats go hungry."

"Well, we'll find all the prey from here to fourtrees when we're apprentices!" Bloodkit promised, puffing out his red-furred chest. "We won't let any cat go hungry!"

"Yeah, Cliffshade," Swiftkit purred. "You can count on us!"

Cliffshade twitched his ear, his yellow eyes unimpressed. "Yes, I'm sure two apprentices will make all the difference."