The walls have ears

Coral spent the night dreaming. She did not consider them any more nightmares, she actually began to enjoy dreaming of whispering voices coming out of a gloomy, gloomy well. Coral was still angry with her, it was what she thought, for in reality what she was feeling was fear of the way Coraline treated her, it was the first time she had seen her mother so angry and distressed at the same time, Coral felt Ashamed to leave her mother like that, but she would never admit it to herself.

The bedroom door opened and Coraline entered cautiously, Coral still crouched in the middle of the covers. She was awake, but with her eyes closed.

- My love. - Coraline whispered right next to her daughter who continued to pretend she slept. "I know you're angry, but ... You know I'm protecting you."

Coral went on without a word, she did not want to talk now.

"You understand what that doll means, do not you see?" Coraline sat on the bed, reclining on her daughter so that her head was close to Coral's ear.

- I'm grounded? - Asked Coral, finally turning to his mother. She looked like a helpless little girl, and that made Coraline even more protective.

"No, my love, you're not grounded."

"Can I go out and play with the neighbors?"

Coraline hesitated for a minute, but that did not seem to be so dangerous.

"Sure, darling, you can." Coraline kissed her daughter's head and left the room.

Coral lay for a few minutes wondering what his day would be like, and wondering how he would find the little door that was not in the living room. She was also thinking about how to persuade the other children to help her. She did not want to let anyone in trouble, but she wanted to find that other world at all costs. It was no longer a question of curiosity but of survival. Something inside her was tormenting her, ringing in her head, whispering. She knew she would go mad if she did not find the little door.

After breakfast Coral ran out of the house, the fog was dense and the floor was covered, it was impossible to see anything below Coral's knees.

The first door she decided to hit was that of Balt Bobinsky. She knocked several times until she was tired, but no one appeared. For a second she thought she saw a figure staring out the window, but it was probably no one, maybe just the ghosts of the old rats.

Coral went downstairs to the apartment below where the girls who called themselves Amanda lived and knocked on the door quickly and rhythmically. Amanda Spink opened the door with a broad grin on her face.

"Hello, Coraline."

- I still call myself Coral.

- Come in, come in. - The girl pulled Coral by the arm and pushed her into the house, closing the door silently.

The house was dark and warm, which made it very pleasant since outside it was cold. Amanda Spink led Coral to the room where Amanda Forcible was. She was sitting very relaxed on the sofa and her head tilted to the side. I was sleeping.

"She's very tired, you know." Amanda said, standing next to Coral watching as the other snored softly on the couch.

- What does she have? - Coral was surprised, just as anyone else would be, child or adult, everyone knew that children did not feel tired. At least not that garden of the day.

"She did not sleep last night." Amanda whispered.

"Why not?" Coral was also whispering.

Amanda did not answer, just watched her friend asleep for a long minute. Then the sleeping woman became frightened by something invisible and stood abruptly.