Chapter 6

“Avery Matthews! Get your ass out of bed!”

Don’t you just hate waking up early in the morning? Yeah, we can all relate to that. But not only did I have to get out of bed, I had to go to my first day of boarding school. Well, at least at this school there’s no school uniform. Plus point right? Yeah, not really helping. I groaned and buried my head in my pillow. Someone tugged at my sheets. “Ave.” Calli whined. “Come on, we’re gonna be late for breakfast!"

This time even the mention of food couldn’t get me out of bed. I groaned once more, but since that didn’t work last time I also groaned a ‘’Nooo.’’ Slightly muffled by my pillow. “Lyric!” Calli suddenly yelled.

Now why would she call Ly- ‘’Wake uuuupp!’’ A hyperactive Lyric ran into my room and jumped right on top of me. I screamed in horror. Then he started tickling me. Now me being the very, very ticklish type I laughed and begged him to stop.

“Lyric, stop! Ly-” He was sitting on my legs so I couldn’t escape. My only weapon was my pillow, which wouldn’t be very useful. Or would it? I grabbed my pillow from under my head and yanked it against Lyric. I hit him flat on the face and the flew of my bed, landing on the ground with a large bang. “Ouch!”

I looked over the edge of my bed. ‘You dead?’

“Very.”

I tried to look like I was sorry, but it got ruined by my chuckle. “I’m sorry.” Lyric groaned at got up from the floor. “Hurry! I want to eat!” he pouted. I sighed and threw my legs over the edge. With a little, ok a lot, effort I climbed out of my bed. I glared at Lyric, and as if he could read my mind he left the room. I quickly locked the door, ‘because you’d never know who would walk in.

Calli did her make-up as I opened the closet and took my clothes out. I slipped into black high waist pants, a loose white button shirt and a brown blazer. I half stumbled out of my room while putting on my socks. ‘’Good morning.’’ A kind voice said. Tyler looked over his shoulder at me while he slipped an apple into his backpack on the table. He eyed me, and I smiled at him. I remembered our moment yesterday, and for some reason I felt the red coming to my cheeks. I quickly turned left and walked into the bathroom, after knocking. ‘’Why do girls always take so long?’’ I heard Lyric complain from the main room.

I took my brush and brushed my hair. “We do it all for you.” Calli said, also entering the bathroom. She took the brush from my hand when I was done and started brushing through her own red curls. I went on to the make-up.

Tyler emerged in the bathroom, grabbed my brush from Calli’s hand and started brushing his messy hair. “Emh, hello? Don’t you guys have your own freaking brushes?!” I exclaimed. Tyler chuckled and returned my brush. “Yeah, but I didn’t feel like getting it.”

I sighed and put my make-up back where it belonged. After walking back into my room, Igrabbed my bag now filled with schoolbooks. “I’m ready.’’ I took a big breath and slipped into my brown Vans. I smiled at Calli who trailed me to the front door. Lyric walked into his room, and came back with Aidyn, who he was pulling on his ear. “Ow! Stop it!” He complained to Lyric. I admired Lyric for trying to maintain a steady and fun relationship with Aidyn even though Aidyn does his best to break it off. Since Tyler told me about Aidyn yesterday, I started to notice things. Aidyn has a slight limp, his movements are slower than say for example Tyler, and I’ve never seen him lift heavy things. Lyric is wearing two backpacks, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out one of them was Aidyn’s.

Calli grabbed my wrist and tugged me along out the door. I put my bag over my shoulder. I let myself get tugged along by Calli, trying not to fall asleep while walking. Is that even possible? I shrugged. Guess not. We ate breakfast, I was just combining opening my mouth for yawning and eating. Tyler and Lyric were warning me which teachers to avoid and where to sit in which class, for reasons going from avoiding a teacher who talks with saliva to a teacher who always picks the front row to answer her questions.