Chapter 11: Tea & Toast

I woke up with a start. The nightmare still running through my head. Out of instinct, I jumped up out of my bed and headed down the hall to check on Mom and Addie, both were sound asleep. I let out a relieved sigh.

Not knowing what time it was I went back to my room to grab my phone before I walked downstairs to get some water.

I checked the time, it was almost five in the morning. True to his word Jack had gotten me home before one, and it wasn't long after that when I fell asleep. But now I was wide awake after that dream.

I've had it before. It only occured when I felt anxious or scared. But I felt good last night so I don't understand why it came back. When I reached the kitchen I grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it with water from the sink before taking a sip. I tried to relax but my mind kept going back to it.

I opened my phone and started to dial Georgia's number. She would hate me, but I didn't know who else to talk to.

The phone rang four times before Georgia answered. Her voice was hoarse as she asked. "Ro, why are you calling me?"

"I'm sorry, I just... I had the dream again."

I heard rustling on her side of the line and I could imagine she was sitting up. She knew how serious this dream was to me.

"The dream about your father going crazy, and murdering you and your family right?" Georgia asks.

"Right, but I hate when you put it that way." I rubbed my eyes with my free hand before I grabbed my glass and took another sip of water.

Georgia hummed. "You checked on your mom and Addie?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Then you reminded yourself it's only a dream right?"

"Yeah but I can't help thinking about it. The thought of losing either of them terrifies me, George. I know it's unlikely but what if my dad had gone off the deep end like that? Or what if a complete stranger goes off the deep end like that? Anything could happen, we don't know. I could lose the people I love in a second. Jack could die in a bus crash, you could drink to much and die from alcohol poisoning. Mom could not make it home from work-" I choked up. Tears started to fall from my eyes.

Georgia was silent for a second. She'd seen me like this before, but I haven't gotten this way in over a year. "Rosie, everything is okay. We are all still here and you better be damned I won't let anything happen. We're safe, let's not think about what could happen."

I let another tear fall before I swiped it up. "You're right, I need to stop worrying."

"Exactly. You know what I think is the cause of all this?" Georgia says pausing before continuing. "I think it's your damn dad's fault you're so scared of losing everybody. He left so suddenly, without even a goodbye."

I grimaced at the thought if him. Georgia was right though. The dream didn't appear until Dad left.

"Think about it. You and your dad were so close when you were young. You looked up to him and then he tore your family apart. Someone you loved turned into someone you hated, and you're still working to get past that."

I nodded even though Georgia couldn't see me. "How do you make so much goddamn sense at five in the morning, George?" I teased, wiping away the last of my tears.

Georgia chuckled, "Practice, between you and Nolan, I've learned to be wise at the ass crack of dawn."

I rolled my eyes, it wasn't that early. And I didn't call her that often.