Part 21

"No date tonight?" Chris asked, plopping down on a bench next to William. His friend was busy not looking at Noora, and failing.

"Nothing planned so far," Will answered, finally detaching his gaze from his unofficial girlfriend – even though everybody knew already – and looking at Chris. He couldn't wait for his black eye to fade away so he could finally turn the page and move on from the hectic last few weeks. "Why are you asking?"

"Because I do." He shrugged in an attempt to look relaxed but he was a bit tense. "Mara asked me to come over tonight, I was hoping to get rid of you," Christoffer joked – he was dead serious though.

William was not amused and huffed in exasperation.

"I'm not leaving you alone with my sister in my apartment so you can christian every room," he groaned.

"Seriously, bro?" Chris complained, frowning and throwing his head back when William gave him a stern look. "Not cool."

It wasn't the first time William cock-blocked Chris but most of the time he did it because he found Chris fooling around in his bed during a party, not because he wanted to protect a girl's honour. It itched Chris to tell him that Mara's honour was gone since she was fourteen but he kept to himself because Will probably didn't know that. There are certain things a girl doesn't tell her big brother.

"I'll be there the whole time, looming over you guys and coughing whenever it gets too steamy," he snickered but his smile vanished when he heard Chris grumble something along the lines of 'you might as well start coughing now'.

"Shut up!" William exclaimed, bringing a leg up on the bench.

"What? It's true! If you know your sister at all, you shoul-"

"She usually doesn't bring the guys she sleeps with home," William cut him off. "But I guess I'll have to get used to it, you sound- serious about her."

Serious was a massive understatement but that William didn't need to hear – Chris bet it was obvious. From a single look toward Mara, his eyes gave away how hexed he was. And he wasn't even complaining! Same goes for William – if not a little more, his eyes were practically glued to Noora, he looked at her like she was his sun and stars. Chris hoped he didn't look that dumb when he caught Mara smiling at him randomly during the day, otherwise he would never hear the end of it

from the boys.

"You're not the boy she sleeps with though," William continued. "You're the idiot she loves. Which sounds even worse said out loud." He winced as if the words stung.

"I don't think you're supposed to tell me that, Mara has yet to say the words,", Chris laughed at the 'oh shit' face that William made. "It's fine, I won't say anything."

"Cool, cool-" Will nodded. "You know I'm just messing with you, right?" He then asked, staring a little harder at Chris. "I'm happy if you're happy. Both of you."

"You don't look too miserable yourself," Chris said, gesturing toward the group of girls where Noora was laughing at something girl Chris said. "You sure you don't want to take the girl on a date tonight?"

"Quit trying to set me on a date to be alone with Mara!" William rolled his eyes and Chris began to laugh wholeheartedly, catching the attention of the girls.

*

Three hours into the evening, William was regretting his decision of not going out with Noora and staying at the apartment to chaperone the two idiots currently cuddling on the couch. When he saw them slowly dozing off and falling asleep in front of the TV, he began to wonder why he denied himself a little fun tonight. What came over him? What did he care anyway? Those two have been humping like bunnies for months, he was sure of it, what does it change that he knows it now? Did he ruin both their and his night? God, he needed a drink.