Chapter 09 | If That's Your Story

Start from the beginning

“How do you even live with yourself, Sawyer?” A masculine voice suddenly says, interrupting my thoughts, making me jump as I look away from the window and at the source.

“U-um, what?” I say, getting a little nervous when I see that the person talking to me is creepy Kevin. He’s standing right in front of my desk and he’s glaring down at me angrily.

“You heard me,” He snarls and I swallow a growing lump in my throat. I wasn’t kidding when I said that I’m terrified of this guy. I mean, I’m uncomfortable with guys in general (except for a few like Beckett, Dr. Fontana, Jason and now Graham) but Kevin is just really scary and he reminds me so much of Flynn, them being step-brothers and whatnot.

He never really talks that much in this class, Kevin doesn’t, and when he does, it’s never to me so I don’t know why he’s talking to me right now. Like I said, he knows everything about what happened that night. Well, he knows Flynn’s version of what happened that night because if I know Flynn Decker at all (which I unfortunately do) he definitely didn’t tell his step-brother the truth about what really happened that night. As a matter of fact, Flynn and I are the only two people in the world who know what happened at that party.

“W-what’re you talking about?” I ask in a quiet voice, feeling my heart start to pound in my chest as he crouches down and leans forwards towards me, his elbows on my desk.

“You ruined Flynn’s life, you do know that, don’t you?” Kevin asks, raising his bushy eyebrows at me with an angry scowl etched on his features. “He was waitlisted for Brown for his freshman and sophomore years, that’s why he went to college around here, you know. That’s where he wanted to go to college, Brown University. He’d just gotten a phone call from the Dean of Admissions at Brown a few days before that dumb party and the Dean told him that they had a spot for him and that he could start the following school year, for his junior year. You know what happened after that though, don’t you? After you ran to the cops like a little bit?” Kevin queries and I wonder why he’s telling me things about Flynn that I have no desire to know. I think he’s trying to make me feel bad, but I don’t feel bad. It’s not my fault that Flynn did what he did to me and it’s not my fault that he went to jail. Besides, it’s not like he had a lengthy sentence there—he was there for thirty freaking days. I don’t say anything, mostly because I feel like I’m about to throw up and then maybe pass out but also because I don’t really know what to say to that. “Well?” Creepy Kevin prompts, leaning in closer and our faces are only about six inches apart.

“I-I…no,” I awkwardly stumble, shaking my head.

“The trial was all over TV, you idiot.” He snarls. “When he was charged, the news spread to Brown like wildfire and they rescinded his acceptance. That’s all he ever wanted, Sawyer. To go to Brown and you took that from him and you should be disgusted with yourself because I sure as hell am,” Kevin informs me and I blink a few times, trying to keep my tears from rolling down my face as I take a few bated breaths so that I don’t have a panic attack right here in the middle of the class, that would definitely be awkward.

“T-that w-wasn’t my fault,” I mumble, feeling my face flush red.

“Of course it was and you know it was,” Kevin snaps at me as if he’s personally offended by the fact that Flynn couldn’t go to Brown, which he has no reason to be offended by. “Anyway though, Flynn asked me to pass along a message to you. He’s been studying abroad in Bangladesh since the start of his junior year and he’s coming home for a few days in a couple of weeks for Christmas. He said he’d love to see you when he gets back,” He explains nonchalantly and my eyes go wide at the thought of the son of Lucifer being back in Andover. I mean, I didn’t know that he was in Bangladesh but I heard he wasn’t in Massachusetts anymore, but I just assumed it was because he’d moved away.