41.

Amelia climbed out of her car carefully, taking a deep breath. She was standing before Olly's childhood home. It was a beautiful house, with strong, dark brick and beautiful window fixtures. There was a great variety of flowers in the garden and she was reminded of his mother's interest in gardening. Looking over to the other side of the house, she caught a glimpse of a basketball court and in the driveway, next to a gold van was Olly's beat up white truck.

Swallowing, she closed the door behind her and walked up the pathway to his front door. A part of her was screaming to go back, get in her car and drive away. Forget about him, forget about this and move on. But how could she with the knowledge that she loved him now? That he hadn't gone to New York? Considering she had been willing to fly all the way there to be with him, things were so much easier for her now. It was meant to be this way.

Clearing her throat and taking another deep breath, she stood in front of the door for a moment before raising her fist and knocking on the wood three times. She ran a hand through her curls, waiting anxiously for someone to open the door.

Suddenly, it swung open and Amelia was met with the sight of a petite woman with shoulder length brown hair. She smiled brightly at Amelia.

"Can I help you, dear?" she asked, one hand on the door, smiling expectantly.

She must be Olly's mother, Amelia thought, before plastering a nervous smile on her face and nodding. "Um, hello," she said sheepishly, extending her hand. "I'm Amelia Miller."

The woman's eyes doubled in size and she stared at the young woman before her, but didn't take her hand. "So you're Amelia," she breathed and the young woman flinched. She must know everything then.

"Um, yes," she said with a slight laugh, "that would be me. I, um, I know this is weird and awkward, but is your son...um, is he here? I mean, I saw his truck in your driveway and Adam told me he was."

Olly's mother blinked before flushing wildly. "Oh, I am so sorry, dear!" she said, grabbing Amelia's wrists and pulling her forward. "I was just a little taken aback, come in come in! I certainly didn't expect you here, but it is wonderful that you are!"

Amelia swallowed, feeling suddenly out of place as she was pulled inside the warm house. "Oh, don't worry, I know this is kind of unexpected and really weird and I just need to speak with Olly for a minute, really."

"Nonsense," his mother said, closing the door behind her and smiling brightly. "My name's Lucy, by the way." She paused and looked at Amelia. "Wow. You are as pretty as the pictures my son takes."

Amelia blushed hotly. Okay, now things were getting a little more than awkward for her. "Do you think you could find him for me? I really need to speak with him, it's kind of-"

"Amelia."

A shiver ran down her spine at the sound of his voice. There was no question in the way he had said her name, just a simple statement, like she was meant to be there. She looked down the hallway slowly, afraid that she had imagined it, but when her eyes fell on him, she felt her heart burst and she knew that it wasn't over.

He stood there, a shocked expression on his face, his blue eyes dull, eyebrows raised in surprise. He was wearing a grey-blue V-neck T-shirt and grey jeans. His hair was messier than she remembered it, long and falling into his eyes. He looked exhausted, like he hadn't really slept in days and he was carrying himself differently; there didn't appear to be the same bounce in his step. She cringed.

"Hi," she said softly, tentatively. His mother looked in between the two of them, furrowing her eyebrows thoughtfully.

"Did you want to sit down and have some tea?" she asked carefully, "I make sure to have several varieties of flavours on hand at all times, what's your poison, dear-"