Chapter 1/10 - "The Color of the Sky"

"Blue"

Chapter 1

'The Color of the Sky'

"One tall, non-fat latte with caramel drizzle," Demi said as she passed the complicated order to the customer across the counter. The red-headed woman raised her eyebrows quizzically, but Demi was already on top of things, smiling cheerily. "Don't worry; it's decaf."

"You're a dream," the young ginger replied, her freckle-sprinkled cheekbones rising alongside her grin. "Always a pleasure, Blue."

"Same to you, Margo. Have a good day!"

As Margo exited the small coffee shop, Demi got back to work. Pulling a dampened rag from the pocket of her apron, she hopped over the counter, proceeding to bus unoccupied tables. She was always moving so quickly; her fiery blue hair appearing to be a flash of lightning to whomever she passed by. She was adoring of her job, working diligently and wholeheartedly at each task she put her hands to. Demi even made an effort to learn the names of her regular customers, for no reason other than to be polite.

Still, as sweet as she was, she was quite rugged. She wore her ripped up converse shoes every day with no complaint, and often partook in splattering them in multiple colors of paint. The playlist on her iPhone consisted of mostly metal, which she would often listen to during her shifts; one headphone in, the other dangling down her shoulder. She kept her deep brown eyes lined with a dark liner, though kept the rest of her face free of any other products. Demi was quite proud of her freckled nose and cheeks, so she kept them on prominent display.

Her wrists and neck dripped in jewelry, as she absolutely adored her accessories. She was very layered, and while she appeared often in ripped jeans and flannel shirts, nothing of her appearance mirrored her personality. Like her customer Margo had said, Demi was a dream, both her aura and her hair mirroring the color of the sky.

"Blue!" She heard calling her from the kitchen, and simply at the shrill tone of her sister's voice, her lips curled upward. She finished bussing her last table before hopping back over the counter and heading to the back.

"Yeah?" She asked, her near look-a-like finally entering her vision. "What is it, Tandy?"

Tandy glanced up at the cracked old clock above the shop's deep freezer.

"It's 9:30! Get out of here."

Demi crossed her arms, beaming her bright white teeth at her dark-haired sister.

"It's just Physics," she teased. "I mean, really, Tandy. Who cares about 'String Theory'? Just kill me now."