Description of Terms and a Little History

Azulan Kingdom: The kingdom Mizuki lives in, which is comprised of 364 Districts. Mizuki lives in the 364th. The kingdom is ruled by King Dennis Xavier, whose castle resides in the 1st District. Any sort of changing or enacting new laws must first be sent to the King in the form of a proposal, so that the King can examine it and decide upon it with advice from other royalty.

Districts: Each District is ranked from "most rich" to "most poor". Naturally, the 1st District is the richest, the 2nd is slightly less rich, and so on all the way to the 364th, considered the poorest. Each District has the basic tools to thrive and evolve (police force, military, education system, money to spend, food to eat, clothes to wear, homes to live in, etc.), but it is all in the way the Districts use them.

Hybrid: Hybrids are those people who have certain animal-like characteristics, but are human in appearance. Some may have the ears and tail of a certain animal, others may have the eyes and claws of a certain animal. Some can have a combination of all, and even exhibit animal-like behaviors, such as scratching of the ear with a foot and being on "all fours". A hybrid's magical abilities are significantly stronger than a standard human's, but difficult to control. How hybrids came to be is uncertain. One popular theory is one in which a specific human evolved according to their environment and mated with someone who had not evolved in such a way. The gene that the evolved human had was strong enough that it passed on to the children. Then the children found mates of their own, and their gene was strong enough as well. This pattern continued throughout history, according to the theory.

13th District: This District was the most vocal in terms of spreading discrimination across the kingdom, and starting an all-out war between humans and hybrids. It began with the District leader, who claimed hybrids were to blame for the increase in crime in the District. It was first proposed to do a background check on all hybrids, and adopt a "get tough on crime" attitude to reduce crime in general. The leader sent this proposal to the King, which he did not approve. The District did this anyway, which led to 1st District police to be stationed there. Continued attempts to get the District to take the law off the books failed. Eventually, the law evolved into numerous laws describing what hybrids can and cannot do. If they didn't follow these laws, they were killed. King Dennis withdrew his police when humans in the District began to turn on them, even killing some of them. The King declared war with the District, however, they had gained much support from many other districts. The King's military alone wouldn't be able to do much in fighting this terrible form of discrimination. Years passed, and while the King gained support from some districts, other districts remained on the fence about it, or chose to not get involved.

364th District: Home to both hybrids and humans alike. Many hybrids make their home here because this District does not kill them nor take away their basic rights, like most other Districts do thanks to the 13th District. Though considered the poorest, it is only poor in terms of technology, and there aren't many jobs. Most other Districts are "caught up" in terms of technology. For the desperate, risky side jobs exist that sometimes offer a tremendous reward. The District's police force, despite numerous attempts, has failed to get rid of it.