Life After the Flames

Chapter 1

Flames lit up the dark night, licking at the sky through the smoke that was rising from the burning buildings.  The smell of death and decay hung in the air, burning my nose as I was pulled through the debris by my closest friend.  There were small and large fires all around me: the burning homes of citizens that were faithful to my kingdom.  The smoke and flames rose higher and higher into the air as no one tried to stop the progression of the fire.  Instead, they were all running from the inferno that was consuming what was left of their lives, and ultimately from those who had started it.

It was hard for us to go through the burning town for I kept tripping on the hem of my long poufy ball gown.  Originally a creamy white, it was now singed in places and stained grey from the soot in the air.  The gown had been designed specifically for the ball that had been interrupted by the invaders responsible for the destruction of my town.  Specifically, the gown had been made for my coronation, which was a large part of the ball.  I was technically the queen of my small country, since the invaders had broken in just as the ceremony was finishing up.  The royal guards had gotten me out of the castle and into the hands of my personal body guard and best friend.  That’s where I was now, running from the people who wanted to kill me for power.

I had to wonder what was going to happen to me now, as well as my country.  Even if I escaped the raging blaze around me and survived through the night, where would I go?  I couldn’t stay in my country that was for sure.  The country is much too small to hide in; they would find me in a matter of days.  I needed to escape my own country, as horrible as it sounded to me.  I didn’t want to leave all of my loyal subjects in their greatest time of need, but if I died then there would be no one to help them in the future.  Maybe I could go to England, or maybe even America! Both countries were large enough that no one would find me there until I was ready to be found,

There was a tug on the back of my dress, and I stumbled into my friend Rosie.  She hurriedly pulled me back upright and dragged me along again.  I wanted to know where we were going, but I knew that now was not the time to ask.  Now was the time to put my faith and trust in my best friend and hope she knew what she was doing.  I knew that she would never fail me.

“Hurry my queen, they will follow us quickly! We must get you out of the country!”  Rosie yelled from in front of me.  I nodded quickly and kicked off the heels I was still wearing so that I may run faster.  We ran faster and faster, taking back roads and quickly getting out of the town.  Soon, we were in the countryside and Rosie halted next to a small homestead.  Hanging on a clothesline there were two dresses that would fit us, and Rosie quickly grabbed them both.  “Here, put this on.”  I nodded quickly in understanding; I couldn’t look like a queen while trying to escape.  The dress was a soft blue cotton, and very comfortable.  Rosie donned a light green one that complemented her red hair and green eyes.  I quickly ran a hand through my messy brown hair before we took off running again.  I felt horrible taking two of the woman’s dresses, but I’m sure if she knew the situation she would understand.

We ran until we reached a small hidden valley, which is where Rosie finally decided that we would stop.  “We’re here your highness.  There is a hidden hanger here, we will fly you out.”  She told me with a determined look in her eyes.

“But what about you Rosie?  And stop with the formalities, after tonight I think you’ve earned the right to talk normally with me.”  I said softly, looking at my friend worriedly.  She couldn’t possibly want to stay here, not with those people killing everyone loyal to me!  She would be murdered quickly.

“I will stay here. Don’t give me that look; I must stay to cover your tracks.  I will act as though I am no longer loyal to you if it makes you any happier.  I will be fine Callissa.”  She said softly, looking at the tears forming in the corner of my eyes.  Most people would think otherwise, but I don’t cry very much.  But with the realization that I would be leaving my only true friend behind, I was hard pressed to hold in the tears.

“Well where am I going then?  Is anyone going with me?”  I asked softly, dreading the answer to my question.

“No, it would be worse if you took many people and drew attention to yourself.  But you will be going to start a new life in America, at least for a while.  There is money and clothes in the plane.  Now off with you before they catch up to us.  Goodbye!  I will send for you when it’s safe!”  Rosie yelled as she pushed me into the plane.  I quickly pulled on my seatbelt and looked out the window as all that I had ever known went up in flames behind me.  I watched as we flew over my capital, looking at all of the fires still left burning.

I was off to America, to the land of hope and dreams.  I definitely needed both of those right now.  I just hoped that I would be able to fit in there.  Although I had grown up pampered, I knew how to live otherwise.  Here’s hoping that I actually could after all.