20~ To Dare Mighty Things

Start from the beginning

Jenna smiled as she left the washroom, filing back out into the mass of victory in the precinct. She felt like a bird set free from the nest and flying for the very first time, now feeling like she had the chance to go out and spread her wings. For the first time, she was going to change her life.

"Hey," Jake approached her, "You ready to go?" he asked.

She put her hand out, stretching her fingers are she did, "I've been ready for five days, let's go home," she said. Jake smiled as he took her hand. He placed a kiss on her forehead, and they started for outside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenna couldn't keep still on the car ride to her house. She was extremely talkative, which was lucky for Quentin, because he had so many questions for her.

"So, what was it like to shoot someone?" he asked, "Were you scared?"

"Hell yeah! But, it's kind of like getting a shot at the doctor's office, it's over before you even realize it's happened, you know?" she replied.

"I really want to learn how to shoot a gun, but Jake won't teach me," he playfully glared at Jake, who sat up front in shotgun while Dave drove. He looked at Quentin in the rear view mirror and smirked back.

"We'll talk when you start growing facial hair," he said. Quentin crossed his arms.

"Hey. Believe me, Quentin. It's okay to continue to be a kid," Jenna said.

"See, listen to Jenna, she knows what she's talking about," Jake said.

"So do I," Quentin argued.

"Alright, boys. That's enough," Jenna called.

Quentin looked up at her, "Are you still going to hang out with us after you go home, Jenna?" he asked. Jenna looked at Jake in the mirror, who had the coy smile playing on his lips.

"I think that's up to Jake," she said.

"Jake?" Quentin then turned to him.

"I don't plan on kicking her out any time soon. What do you think, bud?" he asked.

"I think we should keep her," he replied.

Jenna scoffed, "Uh, what am I, now? A pet?" she asked.

"Well..."

"Don't you dare answer that, Jake!" Jake just laughed as Jenna snapped at him. Dave gave him the sneaky side-eye as he drove. He could tell Jenna would be right as rain for his friend.

The sun was beginning to set and they pulled up to the little house at the end of the block. There was a group of people standing out on the lawn, all of them crowding around a man in a wheelchair. The man held a large sign in his lap, reading in big blue letters: Welcome Home Jenna!

Jenna's heart swelled up at the sight, tears glossing over her eyes. She immediately hopped out of the car and ran to her dad, giving him the tightest hug she ever had. Peter had tears in his eyes as he held his daughter, saying thanks to his wife, who he knew was watching over her the entire time.

"Oh, Jen. I'm so glad you're alright," he breathed out. Jenna sniffled, trying not to let herself cry.

"I missed you too, Dad," she replied.

Jake hopped out of the car and watched as Peter Desmond's friends surrounded them, hugging Jenna and wishing her welcome. Jenna looked so happy, so at home. So relieved.

"Her dad's the one in the wheelchair, right?" Quentin asked.

"Yeah," he replied, "He's a very brave cop,"