12. Mask or Death

Start from the beginning

'Phft, looser.'

"Suit yourself." I shrugged, turning towards the direction of my friend's house.

---

Vamos was leaning over the front desk of Electra's store, examining a black cloth mask that they had tied around their eyes.

"I don't know, I think it makes me look fat." The pink haired Killjoy pouted, resting their chin on the palm of their hand.

"No way!" Vaya retorted, rolling their eyes at the other twin.

"Vaya, are you kidding me? I look like I actually ate a Draculoid!" Vamos whined, continuing to stare into the small round mirror.

"Will you two quit it already? I have paying customers here." Electra hissed, glaring at the twins in annoyance.

Missile Kid was examining a shelf, examining a can of dog food. She wouldn't be eating that stuff again for a very long time, but maybe the cat would like it. Instead, she traveled to the front of the store, where Tommy Chow Mein had left a pile of neatly boxed food. She pulled her black hood over her head as she placed the can and the box on the counter in front of the cash register.

"Is that all?" Electra asked, not even bothering to look at the girl in front of her.

"Yeah, just the food." Missile pulled out a few shiny coins, sliding them across the glass counter.

All the while, Vamos and Vaya stared at the little girl, their jaws practically dropping to the floor.

"Is that...?" Vamos narrowed their eyes, making sure that their eyes weren't deceiving them.

"Can't be." They scoffed, turning away.

"No, Vamos, I think it is." Vaya tilted their head. Missile took notice of the two Killjoys eyeing her down, and new that it was time to leave.

"We'll find somewhere else to eat, I promise." She whispered to the cat who had jumped up into her arms. Quickly, she strode out of the shop. Vaya and Vamos broke into a slight jog, chasing after the girl.

"Hey! Wait up!" Vaya called, only causing Missile to hurry her pace.

"Vinyl! Stop her!" Vamos yelled to the insanely strong man, who was waiting by a familiar black car.

'Shit.' Missile cursed in her head as the massive man stepped in front of her.

"Jeez... Couldn't you have just stopped? I'm all sweaty now." Vamos wheezed.

"Turn around. Let's have a look." Vaya was desperately trying to catch their breath as well. Missile balled her hands into a fist as she tentatively spun herself around to face her old friends.

Well, friends may be a strong word.

"It is you! I knew it!" Vaya pointed a slender finger at the child.

"Missile Kid! Long time no see!" Vamos cackled, still trying to fill their lungs with air.

"Well, look who it is." An eerily mundane voice derided behind Missile.