Chapter 24: Broken, Beaten, Bruised

"There's a hole in my story,
There's a hole in my heart.
And the storyteller is falling apart." ~You're On My Mind by Passenger.

~~~~~~~~~~*Daniel's P.O.V*~~~~~~~~~~~
It took a month. A month of permanent damage to my back because of the hospital chairs. A month of hearing her sobs, which seemed to weaken every night.

I had no clue what was going on. Justin wouldn't tell me anything. Only a passing sympathetic smile, which made me feel even worse.

But I never left. I could feel a coming storm, a horrible event that would shatter my life, but I had to stay. I had to stay for her, because God she deserved someone to be there for her every moment of her life. Good or bad, better or worse. I was here, waiting for her.

Justin came out. There was still a sympathetic smile etched on his face, but he stopped. He actually stopped.

He opened his mouth to speak, then closed it. I think he was conflicted on what to say, which made me aware that something awful was going to come to my notice. I half wished he wouldn't say anything at all. I'd rather be oblivious, I wanted to say, but how wholeheartedly true could I make the statement be? I wanted to be there for her.

"She should tell you this, but... she's taking a long time to realize this. Go in there, talk to her. I don't care if she's pissed at me anymore. Don't pressure her. She's going through something no one should have to experience. It might take a while for her to tell you, or it could take two seconds," Justin said, his voice slightly dulled. He seemed unhappy, which is not a word I'd ever use to describe him. He always had some sort of fight in him. What the hell could have taken that away from him?

There was one thing I recognized him for other than his seemingly undying will, and that was his dedication to his future Luna and his Alpha.

Iris. Iris had taken the fight out of him.

"Daniel! Daniel! Are you going to go see her or not? God, knowing you, I thought you'd skip all the way to her room," Justin snapped, rolling his eyes. Even his sassy replies weren't as vivacious as they once were. They were just an act to make me worry less. I sat back down in the hospital chair and Justin, realizing my distress, followed suit. He bumped his shoulder against mine and smiled halfheartedly at me.

"I can't lose her again. God, it was hell the first time. I know you're trying to make it so I don't worry, but please tell me if she'll be okay," I begged, my eyes welling with tears.

"Daniel, I can't...," Justin said, a heartbroken expression on his face. "I don't- I don't-". And then he started crying. My best friend had never cried in front of me, and I knew him my whole life! I didn't know what to do for a few seconds, so I awkwardly hugged him and let him cry on my shoulder.

"I can't tell you she'll be okay. Jesus!" he yelled, slamming his open palm into the wall behind him. "I want to. I want more than anything to ensure you she'll survive, because that's all I want for her. God! What did she do to deserve so much pain?!"

"Justin. Please. Is there a chance she'll survive?" I asked.

"Yes. There's always a chance. Don't ever give up on her. Please, Daniel, I beg of you. Do not give up on this girl. She deserves the world, and I say that as your friend and hers. She needs you now. Don't ever give up on the hope that she'll live because for as long as she fights, she'll live," Justin promised. "But there's a chance all of her fight could be drained out of her, Daniel. This is serious."

That made me gulp. But I stood up. I took a shaky breath and nodded to Justin, patting him on the back before heading hesitantly toward her door.

The cold metal shocked my skin, but I knew I had to proceed.