Chapter 18: Endings are the Worst Part

"Happy endings?
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the worst part.
So just give me a happy middle.
And a very happy start." ~Anonymous

Warning- This could be a little triggering. So just skip to Iris' P.O.V if you would feel uncomfortable reading. It's not terrible, but I'd really rather not hurt anyone on here. ❤️❤️❤️

~~~~~~~*Daniel's Point of View*~~~~~~~

The funeral was over. My baby was now buried securely under the ground, a blanket of dirt protecting her. In a way, I was happier with this. At least when she was underground she couldn't get hurt anymore. I didn't have to fail at protecting her anymore.

The moment I saw her lowering into the ground, I had an emotional breakdown. That was the moment I realized she was really dead. It was over. I wouldn't ever see her again.

I screamed and thrashed in the arms of my mother, trying to get them to stop lowering her. My mother was heartbroken to see my distraught actions, and I didn't blame her. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing my child like that. The child I'll never have.

I bit my lip to stop the tears from falling. I hadn't gotten out of bed besides to take a shower and go to the bathroom in a week. I knew I was neglecting my pack, but I also knew they understood. Alec, as he was my beta, had taken over, and I had a feeling he was doing a decent job. My mother came to visit me once in a while, trying to coax me out of bed. She told me how much Margaret and Tyler missed seeing their brother smile and be happy, which caused a pang in my chest.

But no matter what, at the end of the day, I always ended up missing her. I couldn't eat without her. I couldn't sleep without her. I couldn't get up and be me while knowing she would never come back. Everything happened in such a rush that I never even got to tell her goodbye. I never got to tell her how much she means to me, and how painful it would be to see her go. I never gave her a reason to stay, and I kept wondering how valiantly she would have fought if I did give her a reason.

No matter what, I always ended up grabbing the blade at the end of the day.

I never saw myself as the depressed type. I always needed to be strong. So strong that I hated feeling weak. But now, without her in my life, I felt like the weakest being in the world. I hated resorting to cutting, but it was the only thing that made me momentarily numb from the pain.

I knew it wasn't helping anyone. I knew Justin hated coming into my room every morning to check if I was still alive. I was sure one of these days I wouldn't be.

I had already made the decision. I had already decided I didn't want to live without her anymore. It was just a matter of time.

~~~~~~~~~~Iris' Point of View~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing made sense to me. Everything was a blur, like I was looking at everything through a dirty glass. I could comprehend what was happening. I could see the doctors rushing around me. I could see Daniel's grief after I was buried. I could see Andrew struggling to pack as Olivia begged him to stay for another week. I could see him finally relent.

But it wasn't with my own two eyes. It wasn't me, you know? I felt like a stranger intruding on my own life.

"Iris," a voice called softly. The voice was warm and inviting, but it wasn't anyone I knew. I tensed up and turned around slowly, coming face to face with the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She had long, golden locks with bright green eyes. Her dress was pure white, and I began to wonder if she was an angel here to take me away.

"W-Who are you?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly. Power radiated off her, splashing over me in waves. It reminded me of Daniel, except multiplied.

"The Moon Goddess," she stated simply. I gasped in shock before bowing. Daniel had told me about her, and I didn't want to seem disrespectful. She chuckled before grabbing my hand.

"Get up, child. You don't need to bow to me. I am no different from you," she replied.

"No different?" I replied incredulously. "Next to you, I'm a peasant!"

"Next to me, we are equal. You have just as much power as I. You just haven't discovered it yet," the Moon Goddess explained.

"I don't understand. I'm dead, aren't I? How can I discover anything?" I asked quizzically.

"I can give you back your life. As long as you promise me something," the Moon Goddess replied.

"Anything. But... how am I supposed to get out from under the ground?" I asked.

"Don't worry about that. Just promise me that you will hurry and find Daniel. He's not in good shape, and he is on the verge of hurting himself beyond repair. You need to find him and you need to explain everything to him. Including this conversation. Promise me you won't give up on him. He's the only one who will always be there for you, even when you guys argue. Promise me you won't let anyone knock you down. But, most of all, promise me you will try to help as many people as possible. There's a large battle looming, and my children will need all the guidance they can acquire. I'm truly sorry about the abuse you have been through. But, in return for these promises, I will promise you some things as well," the Moon Goddess said.

"Yes. I can do all of those things. I promise," I vowed, my voice steady and strong.

"Good. In return, I promise I will guide you. I promise I will help you understand your powers. But Iris, when you return, you won't be human anymore," the Moon Goddess replied.

"What do you mean?" I puzzled.

"You'll be a mixture of human, werewolf, and witch. You'll be powerful, almost unstoppable, but you will be dangerous. Your powers are tied to your emotions. If you can't get a handle on those quickly, you might end up hurting someone," the Moon Goddess revealed. I gulped nervously but nodded nevertheless.

"I can do this," I replied confidently.

"Are you sure?" she confirmed. I nodded.

"Yes," I replied. The Moon Goddess smiled and, after a brief blur of colors, my eyes snapped open.

I was alive again.

An~ Guys. Please keep in mind that self-harm is no joke. If you self-harm (and I know everyone says this), seek help immediately. You can even talk to me if you feel alone. Cuz guys, there's always going to be someone somewhere who will cry if you leave, even if you don't see it. Us humans have a habit of ignoring who really matters in our life. 🙄 So please don't hurt yourself, okay?

Xoxo 😘 ~Heaven