Chapter 23: Heart Attack

"What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you?
And what am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're okay?" ~Break Even by The Script

"Wait wait wait... slow down. What?!" I asked, my eyes wide.

"It's not for sure. I've never really had time to date, but if I did...," Andrew trailed off, blushing awkwardly.

"It could either be a girl or a boy?" I suggested. He just shrugged.

"I've never really thought about it. But... I'm scared. Not just because I don't even know who my mate could be, but because I might not be good at it, you know? Boy or girl, my job will be to love the person wholeheartedly, and I find it hard to love myself," he confessed, his eyes revealing a tragic story in their depths. I stood up and grasped his hands, staring intensely at him before pulling him into a tight hug.

"I understand you," I mumbled. I didn't say anything else. I didn't see a reason to. Sometimes, all a person could need is someone to tell them they're not crazy. No input, no judgment. Just understanding.

It was what my brother needed right now.

"I love you, Iris. I'm so sorry I hurt you like that," he muttered against my hair. I was too short, so his chin had to rest on my head.

"You need to apologize to Daniel too. He told me how mean you were to him," I ordered, pulling back to glare and pout at him at the same time.

"Of course. I'll do anything to make you happy with me again," Andrew said, kissing my forehead.

"And listen, even if your mate is a boy, it won't change how I feel about you, okay? Some people wouldn't agree if you had a male mate, but if that's what's destined for you, then so be it. They'll have to respect that, I guess," I said, shrugging nonchalantly. Andrew gave me a lopsided smile before pulling Olivia and I into one of those awkward side hugs.

"Let's go to your future husband so I can apologize," Andrew said, clearly teasing me. I scowled at him and stuck my tongue out, which in turn caused him to laugh. We walked downstairs, Andrew's arm still wrapped tightly around my shoulder. I immediately wiggled out of Andrew's grasp and crawled under Daniel's arm. I pulled the blanket over my shivering body, suddenly cold. Daniel looked down at me, concerned. He had a right to be. It was Texas for Pete's sake. However, he was momentarily distracted when my brother started talking. I didn't pay too much attention to the conversation. My head was aching, and my vision was getting blurry. I could only focus on Daniel's smell and even that was starting to confuse me. I felt like I was going to throw up. I closed my eyes against the sudden dizziness, my head pounding along with my pulse.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.  Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump.

Was I too young to have a heart attack? My heart was threatening to break out of its cage, going into overdrive. What was happening? This wasn't a panic attack. What was there to panic about? No, this wasn't a panic attack, but the similarities made me doubt myself. I imagined an iron fist had reached into my chest and squeezed my heart. The sudden burning supported my theory. I could tell my eyes were squeezed shut and tears were dripping down my face. I knew I was clutching at my heart in agony and I also knew that the possibility of me crying out in anguish was likely. The world beyond that, however, was lost to me. I couldn't hear anything. I didn't know if Daniel was calling out for me. Hell, I didn't even remember who Daniel was.

It was just me alone with my agony. Hadn't it always been this way?

It felt like forever. An eternity of drowning. An eternity of weightless pain. An eternity before I felt a pinch on my arm and my vision went black.

~~~~~~~~~~*Daniel's P.O.V*~~~~~~~~~~~

How the hell could one person be so unlucky?

Pacing. Back, forth. Up, down. Anything but staying still. Staying still meant countless thoughts racing through my brain. Staying still meant constant worry, constant creases between my eyebrows.

How was it always her? Why was I the only mate in the world to be given the awful task of watching my mate suffer more than once? It hurt my heart. Stabbed it, really.

Seeing her there, curled up in obvious pain... it was the worst thing I'll ever have to endure next to our future daughter or son being in the same position.

Justin wouldn't tell me anything. He would rush out of her room, pale-faced and sweating, but when I demanded answers, I got nothing. Not even using my alpha voice made him answer.

"JUSTIN!" I finally roared, grabbing his collar and pinning him to the wall.

"Tell me what the hell is happening to my girl!"

"She doesn't want me to," Justin replied, which shocked me.

"She's awake? She's talking? And she doesn't want you to tell me?!?!" I demanded, my hands shaking. I wasn't angry with her. Just concerned. What ailment would be so awful that she would want me to worry?

"Justin, please. Is she okay?" I begged.

"Yes. She'll be fine," Justin promised, but even he didn't sound so sure of himself.

So I waited. I waited until an hour turned into a day, and a day turned into a week. I slept on old rickety chairs, but I can tell you that no matter what I always heard her sobs.

At night. Probably when she suspected me to be asleep, but I heard her anguished cries. I knew something was seriously wrong this time.

I also knew it might be a while until I figured it out.

OOOOH! What do you think is wrong with Iris this time?

Duces!
~Heaven