Chapter Sixteen Part One

Warning: unedited and kinda rusty with the writing lol.

Under the darkest canopies of night there are still stars that shine, bringing light to even the most awful of places. And then there is the moon, that control the tides and seas that stretch far and wide. The world is vast, and I'd only begun to scratch the surface.

    Isn't it funny how the world works in mysterious ways, bringing people together in the most unlikely of ways. "So, where do we go from here boys?"

    I look to Lucas and Damien who sit quietly in the middle of my living room, looking more than a little lost as they stare at each other and then back at me. I play with the ends of my blonde hair and wonder just how much this new world would be able to give me, or take from me. "I need more than these simple explanations."

    "You are descended from the gods," Lucas whispers. "You know that, correct?"

    "Yes." My voice is barely above a whisper as the words come out. Damien cringes as if it pains him to know, that I know.

    He shakes his head and runs his hands through his dark hair. "You were never supposed to find out, this wasn't supposed to happen."

    "Well," I begin as I stand, "it's happened and now there is nothing we can do to change it. The question is now: who were those men?"

    Lucas' back stiffens and his strong jaw clenches. "They were part of my father's army."

    "It all comes back to the cloud gathering Zeus now doesn't it?"

    Damien's eyes cloud over as he speaks from behind his clenched teeth. "Your father is a menace."

    "And yours isn't? Sitting atop his throne of bones? With his three headed dog and a woman by his side whom he stole from the sky?"

    "Enough. This isn't about past feuds or your personal issues, this is about our safety." I shake my head and try to control my thoughts. It is a strange feeling, calamity. To want to scream but to have to play as if you were perfectly alright, for the sake of others. Isn't it a wondrous sensation? To be able to fool those who know you best?

    Damien stands, his tall figure towering above the both of us. "It is no longer safe for us here, look outside."

    I make my way to the window and peer outside at the dark clouds and raging winds. Lightning flashes in the distance. "What's the fascination with me? They never came after you."

    "Because you are more than he, or I," Lucas says smiling softly. "You are an exception to the rules. You are not mere demigod as he, or I. You are a fraction human, and that is all."

    "He's scared. Zeus is scared of your capabilities. The almighty trembles at the thought of someone with more power than he possesses even himself. Have you not felt the static that hums even while you're still like this? Or the pull to the sea that you have?" Damien walks towards me and grasps my hand in his. "You are not the sky or the sea, nor do you come from the depths of darkness that I do. You are the stars and the skies and the waters, the way the earth but shakes under your thoughts. You are the Daughter of a god and a demigod. Your powers are unknown, and in all reality they thought you were already dead."

    "What do you mean?"

    Confusion reflects back at me from the blue of Damien's eyes. Lucas shakes his head. "Show her."

    Nodding, Damien placed his hands on my forehead and in that instant I felt the world around me crumble to pieces and fall away. Darkness enveloped me and everything faded until there was the nothing but the bright shine of the sun.