Chapter Thirteen

Warning: unedited.

~

"Well," Damien taunts. "Looks like you survived."

There are two men standing at the doorway, I'm standing behind Damien, watching as the figured smirk at one another. They're both tall, taller than the two of us, and are built as if they'd been lifting weights since they were in diapers. We're doomed, I think as Damien leans on his heels.

Shock. I would say that's the reason that I'm not freaking out, running around the house screaming. I think that part is going to come later. I feel dizzy. Definitely going to flip later, I conclude to myself.

The bulkier of the two men pulls out what looks like a sword from his belt, and my eyes widen. "Hiding behind a girl? How pitiful of you."

"I reckon we could have some fun with this one, don't you think, brother?"

Damien tenses. He runs a hand through his curls, pushing them to one side of his face, then crouches. "I'd like to see you try."

The brothers look at each other, the other one producing a hammer-like weapon. "Challenge accepted."

Everything began so quickly, so quickly that I can barely register the movements. One second everything was still, and the next there was a clash of metal. I have a mind to stand back, but I'm frozen in place. Still.

Damien ducks under the sword, grabbing the man's wrist and snapping upwards, it drops to the floor with a loud sound. It echoes throughout the room. The figure screams out in pain. I hear Damien chuckle. Their movements resemble a deadly dance as they dodge each other's advances. Damien is weaponless against these beasts of men, and I am helpless.

While the brothers' blows are hard, they're slow. Damien has an agility to him, and he moves as if floating on clouds. He's untouchable. There is flash as sparks fly from the two weapons colliding as Damien ducks under the brothers.

Memories come flooding back.

I can hear the steel connect with skin, the sound of bones breaking. There's blood everywhere. Movements blur into one.

I see a car racing towards me. I know I can't move in time.

One man is writhing in pain on the ground, clutching his chest, the sword sticking out. The other, the other has Damien pinned against the wall, his eyes alight with anger.

I feel power coursing through my veins. Something within me awakens.

The light in the room shatters, shrouding us in darkness. I can hear Damien whimper, as what I can only presume is the hammer, connect with his body. His brother moved towards me, I can see him crawling along the ground, but my eyes go cloudy once again.

There's a voice in my head. A voice that tells me to destroy.

I can move again. Suddenly, I see flames rush through the air, lighting up the darkness.

"I see someone is mad," a harsh voice cuts through the air as they speak. My body is elated. It is as if I am not myself, as if a spark had ignited the brightest of flames. "Is the little devil angry?"

"Don't test me, fool," Damien's voice is dripping with anger. I can feel it in the air, then there's a scream. The fire still clings to the air, illuminating the scene with an eerie light. Damien's hand is hovering in the air, tensed. He moves in clockwise. The man chokes. His face turns blue. Damien's eyes turn the darkest shade of blue that I have ever seen. And in that moment I hadn't noticed the man's brother get up and stumble towards me.

In an instant, there is a cold dagger against my throat. I gasp. "Oh, but you are beautiful," he says licking the side of my face. I let out a scream. "Sh, this will go quickly."

The sound of a body hitting the floor courses through the air, and the man holding the dagger to my throat chuckles. "I wouldn't move if I were you. Or, I'll slit her pretty little neck."

"If you hurt her, I'll kill you."

I close my eyes. I remembered the lightning. I remembered saving Calliope, the sound of it crushing Reid's car. The feeling of power travelling the entire length of my body. I felt at home, I felt as if there was nothing that could stop me. I was invincible.

So now, as the three of us stand here, in the bathroom of a broken home, I close my eyes and remember the feeling. I remember how in tune with my body I truly was. And, when I open my eyes, all I see blue.

Shrill screams fill the air. There is a thump. My breath is staggered. I look down at my hands, they're still crackling with white light. "What did I do?"

I repeat those words as my body sinks to the ground, and strong arms wrap themselves around me, cradling me to a strong, bare chest. His voice soothes me.

"What have we done?"

I stare at the ground, ground that is stained with blood. My vision is limited to the one clean spot on the ground, and even as Damien lifts my body off the floor, I am stunned. Shell-shocked.

His hand strokes the hair out of my face. "It's going to be okay."

But, in that moment, I know. I know that, from this moment on, nothing in the world would ever be the same, and nothing would truly be alright again.

~

Hey guys,

Sorry the update is super late, just been going through a lot lately, I'll try to update as much as possible, but they may be slow.

Much love,

Maria