One

Kyan

I've been locked up in this hospital room for a few months now. All that I know is that I'm not getting any better even though I already stayed here for quite a long time. I've been suffering from a heart problem since the day that I was born. My condition got worse as I age that I need to be confined in a hospital so they could monitor my condition.

If I were to make the decision. I would want to stay at home and live my remaining life happily. Please don't think that I have already given up on life, but I'm just being practical and realistic. I know my condition is a real deal and I already accepted the fact that I was not given a long span of time to live. My parents thought the otherwise though. They've been doing everything just for me to get well.

Not that I'm complaining but I have already accepted my fate. And that is my heart complications will not heal and I'm going to die soon. But that was before I met her.

One hell day, I met a girl and made me feel that I still wanted to live longer. Her name? I just knew her as Kai.

Flashback
"Nurse, can you bring me at the hospital garden? I'm seriously gonna die here out of boredom." I told the nurse that made her laugh.

She nodded in agreement then she went out to get a wheelchair. After a while she went back and assist me while I sit on the wheelchair.

She pushed the chair out of my hospital room and bring me to the hospital garden. "Sir Kyan, don't you have any plans to take a heart operation? That might be the only answer for you to live longer."

"I don't know, well I already accepted the fact that I'll die early. Besides, I don't wanna see my parents suffering because of me. I have no reason to live longer than I've expected." I said then gave her a genuine smile.

She smiled back at me while still pushing my wheelchair. "I think your parents will be happy if you'll get better." She said then stopped at the hospital garden.

The nurse helped me get up so I could sit at one of the benches in that garden. "I'll leave you here for now, Sir Kyan. I'll be back maybe after an hour." Said the nurse as I nod then she left.

I let myself swim at my own thoughts while I enjoy the new environment I was facing. I was thinking it through, my condition, my life and my reason to live. I really can't find any reason to live, even my parents' agony isn't enough for me to fight for my life. The more I see them suffering, the more I want to disappear.

While I was contemplating at these things, I felt someone suddenly sit beside me. That made me look at the other side of the chair to see a girl, same age as I am perhaps. Her skin as pale as white and she's too skinny. As I was staring, she looked back at me and then smiled so I decided to look away. Damn it, that was awkward.

"Hi!" She greeted with joy. But I didn't even bother looking at her. Completely ignoring that she said hi.

A little while later she nudged me. "Hey! Don't be such a snob. I'm Kai, and you are?"

"Kyan."

She smiled, "Nice to meet you, Kyan! Anyway, what's the reason you're here?"

"Bored."

She laughed at my response, "No silly! I mean why are you here as a patient?"

I just shrug and ignore her again, "You know what? I'm a leukemia patient in here. I only have a few months to live according to my doctor."

"But I wanted to live longer for my family and for the people who are there for me." I stayed silent and let her speak her mind. "Sometimes, I can't help but think how unfair life is. People who wants to die live the longer life, while people who wants to live gets to die early."

I looked at her and saw sadness in her eyes. She really wants to live longer, I can see the sincerity while she say those words. "Well, I don't want to live long and I will die early."

"Why?"

"I just lost my reasons to live. I make people around me suffer and I can't let it continue." I said.

She heaved a sigh before she speak, "Maybe they were suffering because you show them you don't want to fight anymore, Kyan."

"That's a fact, I don't want to fight anymore."

"If you ever die soon, your parents and loved ones will still suffer. Because of their loss. They might be suffering now, but once you get better they'll be the happiest people in the world, do you know that?"

I stayed shut for what she said is right. "You're still lucky that you have a way to fight. Whatever complications do you have, you can still get through it. Unlike me, my remaining days are already numbered." She said while smiling.

I was looking at her while she is saying those things, how can she smile like she was not dying?

"Hope," she said. "Uh what?"

She laughed at my reaction cause I was really caught off guard. "The reason why I can still be happy and smile like this. Don't worry I'm not a mind reader, I just get that question often."

"And what hope supposed to mean?" I asked.

She looked at me then said, "Hope that even though my days were numbered some miracle will happen and that He will make me live longer. I'm not losing hope, Kyan. That I can still live as a normal and cancer free girl."

End of flashback

That day, she made me want to fight. For she made me smitten in just a couple of hours.