Emma grimaced as she climbed into the shower, the hot water stinging her. She took a deep breath, almost expecting to start crying. But no. Why should she mourn Killian's death after what he did to her?

Why should I have a heavy heart?

The cuts on Emma's legs began to sting from the soap and water. But Emma embraced the pain, because it meant they were being cleansed. She was washing away all evidence of Killian.

Why should I start to break in pieces?

As the water ran over Emma's body, cleaning her, she wished she could clean her mind too. But in her experience, that was impossible. No amount of alcohol or running from your feelings could do anything. There was no way to cover the mental abuse with another emotion. It was the same when she felt betrayed by Neal. There was nothing she could do to erase the betrayal and now there was nothing she could do to erase the pain.

Why should I go and fall apart for you?

As Emma stepped out of the shower, her face finally showed one emotion: determination. She was determined to somehow move on and leave Hook in the past, where he belonged. He was gone and Emma could finally start over.

Why should I play the grieving girl and lie,
Saying that I miss you
And that my world has gone dark without your light?

The next evening was the first time Emma was seen out of her house since Killian's death apart from the funeral. And the first words she spoke were, "One hot cocoa with cinnamon please."

Granny nodded and immediately turned to prepare Emma's order. Emma sat down on one of the bar stools, playing with the ribbon on the sleeve of her bold red coat. She knew wearing this coat would attract attention, but red was the color that made her feel like herself. Red was the color that meant freedom.

It wasn't long before Granny sat the cocoa down in front of Emma, who muttered a quiet, "thank you," before raising the hot drink to her mouth. She didn't mind the burning sensation when she took a sip. She'd learned that if she didn't start drinking a cup of steaming hot cocoa right away, she would take too long and the cocoa would get too cold. She could, of course, heat it up in the microwave. But it was never quite the same.

Emma's cup of hot cocoa was nearly empty when Regina sat down next to her. Instead of looking at the brunette, Emma looked around the restaurant, expecting to see Robin or Henry or even her parents. But it seemed that Regina had come alone.

"One coffee. Black, please," Regina requested. Granny nodded, not needing further directions. After twenty-eight years under a curse, she'd memorized all of the regular orders easily. Regina then faced the blonde woman on her right. "Good evening, Miss Swan."

Emma knew Regina was trying to treat her with caution while still acting normal. It was too easy to read her. Emma only looked at Regina, letting her know she was analyzing her greeting, before turning back to her cocoa.

Regina sighed. "How are you?" She asked, letting her concern weave its way into her voice.

Emma shrugged in response, but it was an improvement from the last time.

"Emma..." Regina set a hand on her friend's shoulder and Emma winced, trying not to make it obvious she was in pain. But Regina noticed. "Emma?"

"I have to go." Emma got up too quickly and nearly knocked her cup over. She didn't spare a glance back at Regina as she walked out of the restaurant briskly.