32

The phone rang out a dial tone for the fifteenth time since I had called him.

Why was he not picking up the phone? He always picks up the phone. 

"Hello?"

It wasn't his voice. 

It was a female voice that sounded annoyed by my call.

It wasn't Phil.

"Is Phil there?" I felt my voice break.

"No, he's out with his girlfriend." The voice snickered. 

"Excuse me?" my heart broke into a thousand pieces. Surely this girl was lying to me. Surely...

"Are you deaf? I said he's out with his girlfriend. He hasn't seen her since the summer. Who is this, anyways?"

"It's... Dan. His boyfriend." My voice breaks fully and I'm afraid if I keep talking I'll burst into tears.

The voice laughs again. "Ah, dude that sucks I'm sorry. I'm Lissa, Phil's sister. He didn't mention you to anyone. Are you from that fancy school he goes to?"

I had tears running down my cheeks. "Yes."

The owner of the voice, Lissa, sighed. "Look, there's something you should know about Phil. He's- you know what. Have you seen Rent?"

I was now 100% confused. "Like... the musical?"

"Yes! You know Maureen?"

"Of course."

"Phil is Maureen. Welcome to Tango Phil. I have to go. I'll tell Phil you called. Maybe he'll feel guilty or something. Bye Boyfriend Dan."

I heard the phone click, signifying Lissa had hung up on me. I let my cell phone fall from my hands. I didn't know what to thing anymore. Phil was not the man I thought he was.