Chapter Nine - part 2

ابدأ من البداية

It took a while before she realised the subject had once again moved to her father, as he encouraged her to remember the happy times they had shared before Amanda had come along to spoil things.

When her stomach began to rumble William rang the bell, ordering dinner for them both. Liz and William moved across to the south parlour, their conversation changing from childhood tales to school meals and favourite foods.

They remained at the table long after they’d finished and no one was more surprised than Liz when the clock struck ten. They’d spent all day together and she hadn’t done a minute’s research. Despite that, she couldn’t regret the lost opportunity. “I really should be going to bed. I have a full day’s work to catch up on in the morning.”

William sat back in his chair, spinning the stem of his wine glass between his fingers. “Those dusty old books have been there a long time. They won’t disappear overnight, you know.”

“They might not, but I only have two more days here.”

“You could stay longer.”

Liz considered that idea for a second but knew she had to refuse, no matter how tempted she might be. “I’m sorry but I can’t. My friend needs her car back on Saturday.”

When she got up from the table he stood too. “If you don’t get everything done by Friday, you’re more than welcome to return.”

“I appreciate the offer. Perhaps I will.”

William moved closer, his fingers trailing along the back of the chair she’d just vacated. “And I’m free tomorrow if you need an assistant.” His dark eyes met hers and he grinned. “You know, someone to fetch the tea and lift things down from the top shelves. I’ll do as I’m told, I promise.”

She stroked her chin, pretending to consider his plan. “Well, they do say two heads are better than one, and I have missed a day. Okay, it’s a deal.” Liz held out her hand.

Instead of shaking hands William lifted it to his lips, brushing a kiss across the back of her fingers. “I’ll see you in the morning then.”

Ignoring the rapid beating of her heart, Liz wished him a quick goodnight and left the room, almost running across the hall and up the stairs.

* * * * *

Early the next morning Liz lay in bed with her eyes closed, willing herself back to sleep. She reached out to her dream, wanting to sink back into it, like settling into a warm bubble bath. This time there had been no unsettling premonitions, just the usual ordering of her memories.

As though filing away the previous day’s events, her subconscious had assessed William’s movements and mannerisms, exulting at each lingering touch or comforting stroke. She wondered if he’d been aware of the kiss he’d placed on the top of her head. Perhaps it had been an unconscious gesture on his part. She couldn’t afford to read anything into his behaviour. He might have done the same for a three year old who’d skinned her knee.

Liz smiled at that thought, imagining how good he would be with children.

No, it was no use. She wasn’t tired enough to fall back to sleep and her brain was too full of William to think about anything else.

He’d asked her to stay over the weekend. Granted, he’d meant she could work on her project for two extra days but the thought had been there. She’d been so tempted to take him up on his offer and had considered phoning Natalie to ask if she might return her car on Sunday instead of Saturday as she’d promised.