Chapter 11: The Last Tear

HARRY'S P.O.V.

When I awoke the next morning, I was greeted by a depressed looking gray sky. The rain's icy fingers clawed viciously at the windows as the hail's fists pounded loudly at the roof. The evil eye of the lightning streaked across the sky in an endless bolt of white.

I retrieved my glasses from my bedside table and put them in their proper place on my face. Ron was softly snoring in the bed next to me, still deep in sleep. I sighed as I slipped into my shirt, jeans and shoes and walked quietly down the stairs. There, I was greeted by a semi-unexpected visitor.

A man was sitting on the couch, his back facing me. His curly, matted black hair covered the back of his neck. He slowly arose from the couch and turned to face me.

He'd shaved since last I'd seen him. Soft black stubble covered his chin and upper lip. His chapped lips formed a smile.

"Harry," he said gruffly.

"Sirius!" I whispered excitedly. He held out his arms and I threw myself into them like a little child welcoming his dad home from war. "I knew you were coming! The Dementors arrived again last night and I knew you were on your way!"

"How are you?" he asked me when I finally let go.

"Much better now that I know you're okay," I said. "You just disappeared last time. I...I got worried."

"Don't you worry about me," he said, placing a mildly firm hand on my shoulder. "I'm fine. How're things?"

"Not great," I said sadly. "We've got trouble on the way."

"What sort of trouble?"

I told him about what happened when and after Cassidy and I had seen the memory he gave us. I told him about Voldemort's warning, our three months of endless, countless practices, and about the break up.

"But, now that I'm living without her," I finished, "I feel like we're more exposed and open than before. What I mean is that it won't be as hard for Voldemort to nab either one of us now that we're keeping our distance. I know she did it to keep ourselves safe, but I think we were safer when we were together."

"Protect her," he said. "Whatever it takes, if you really love her, you won't let her out of your sight!"

"I...I will try," I said, despair and uncertainty clogging up my throat.

"I don't want you to try!" he said angrily, slamming his hands down on my shoulders and giving me a gentle shake. "I want you to do!"

"I...I will!" I cried. "I will do whatever it takes! I will! I will!"

Sirius clapped me on the back and gave a gruff laugh. "You're a good man, Harry. I'm proud to call you my godson."

A soft creek came from the stairs. I glanced anxiously at Sirius.

"You have to go," I whispered urgently, "but don't leave the grounds! Stay hidden somewhere."

"Not a problem," he said reassuringly. "Take care of yourself. Good luck, my boy." And with that, he disappeared with a soft crack.

I turned. Ginny's tall, slender form was gazing at me from the foot of the stairs. Her long flaming red hair had been scraped clean of any tangled knots and matted curls. Her deep chocolate brown eyes looked concerned and uncertain about...something.

"Morning, Harry," she said with a yawn. "You're up early."

"Morning, Gin," I replied. "I was just about to tell you the same thing." She chuckled and crossed to the armchair by the dying fire.