Chapter 6: Bitten

CASSIDY'S P.O.V.

In case you didn't catch it earlier, I really wasn't meeting Hermione in the library. But when I got back to the Great Hall, I immediately walked over to where she was sitting. She and Ron were holding hands and sharing a platter of chicken and bread.

"Hermione," I said, "can we talk?" Hermione looked up from the plate. She looked concerned.

"Sure," she replied. "What's wrong?"

I glanced uneasily at Ron. "I meant in private." Ron looked offended.

"It's alright, Ron," said Hermione attentively. "You probably wouldn't be interested anyway. Girl talk."

"If it's got something to do with Harry, I want in," said Ron defiantly. I slapped myself on the forehead and sighed exasperatedly.

"Alright, alright," I said agitatedly. "C'mon, let's talk in the library."

I wanted to get to the library as quickly as possible. I had Ron and Hermione running to keep up because I was going so fast. When I finally reached the library, Ron and Hermione were panting softly.

"Seriously, Cassidy," said Hermione. "I've never seen you so confused and startled. What's wrong? Did something happen between you and Harry?"

I told her and Ron about Harry's stag and how my doe reacted with his stag. I went ahead and told Ron my story and about the tattoo on my neck. I finished up by telling them about the spark I felt in my chest when Harry and I were getting close enough to kiss and about his sudden offer to take me to dinner the next day.

"So, whatever he's going to tell you," said Hermione, "he'll tell you over dinner?"

I nodded.

"I can't believe Snape actually helped you," said Ron, stunned by the entire story. "I'm even more baffled about the fact that he's taking care of you and your brother. So, what, is he like your stepdad?"

"Sort of," I replied, rocking my hand from side to side. "Too soon to tell."

"Well, apparently it's not too soon for Niall," said Hermione. "I can't believe he's actually staring to call him his dad. I never thought I'd live to hear the news that Severus Snape is becoming a step daddy!"

"True that, Hermione," said Ron. "You said he knew your mother?" he asked me.

"Yes," I said. "He knew her when they were kids. Now, other than my brother, he's the only family I've got left."

"That's not true," said Hermione. I was confused.

"What do you mean?"

"You've got friends that care about you. Me, Ron, and especially Harry. You have no idea how much he cares about you."

"Trust me when I say I think I do," I replied, grinning maliciously. Hermione smiled and Ron winked.

"Good luck tomorrow, Cassidy," said Ron reassuringly. "You and Harry are perfect for each other." I blushed.

"Aww," I said. "Thanks, Ron. That's sweet."

"Yeah, well," he said. Hermione laughed and kissed his cheek.

I hadn't realized how long we'd been gone until we got back to the Great Hall to find it half-empty. I checked my watch and panicked, noticing we only had five minutes to get to class. I grabbed a few pieces of leftover chicken from the table and skinned them clean, almost choking on one of the chicken bones as the three of us ran to class. Hermione had Ancient Runes while Ron and I had Potions. We burst through the doors of the classroom and practically fell into our chairs the second the bell rang. Snape whirled around, noticing me and Ron. He gave Ron a barely noticeable disapproving look, and gave me a soft twitch of his eye, which was probably a wink.