Chapter 27

Greenwood T.H 2058

         The weeks passed almost in a blur thereafter, and tomorrow would be the day all wood elves were looking forwards to the most throughout the year, Mereth-en-Gillith

         The weeks passed almost in a blur thereafter, and tomorrow would be the day all wood elves were looking forwards to the most throughout the year, Mereth-en-Gillith. For some lucky reason, I had no guard duties tomorrow night, neither did Charanthir nor Voronwë. A seldom treat for all of us, though I had a feeling Alagos had made that choice on purpose. Already now I was looking forwards to the feast, but primarily to spend some time with them without the constant threat of spiders or other foul things lurking in the forest. Their attitude had improved tremendously after I had found out what was really bothering them, so much so that even Aronhir and Nendir had noticed.

I only had to complete this shift and then I would have time to rest and prepare for tomorrow night. All elves had come together, helping bring up the wine, prepare food and all that required to prepare for the feast tomorrow. But one in particular was enormously stressed. I had seen it in his eyes for more than a few days now. Thranduil had looked worse on each occasion I had seen him. The final decision making fell to him along with the other things that needed to be tended to throughout the day. Just because we were having a feast, didn't it mean that the evil would rest for that particular day as well.

Some had to be on guard, Alagos and his company had been charged with this task. A crucial task, but I had seen it in all of them, the slight disappointment that the task had befallen them this year. That morning before I left, I had accidentally stumbled upon Thranduil in the main hall, surrounded by his advisors, all needing something different. It had secretly amused me, bringing a sly smile to my lips but it didn't linger for long because once again, as he always were able to, he felt my gaze and halted the conversation he'd had with Agenor to send me a look, that told me to be careful. I had swallowed nervously and tried not to look to guilty as I lowered my head before fleeing out of the hall.

Voronwë and Charanthir had been waiting for me in the clearing just outside the gate. Aronhir and Nendir came not long after which only left Feredir. He was somehow always late, and it annoyed Voronwë more than he let on sometimes, though today, we all saw it on his face. The knowing look Charanthir shot Voronwë made me smile because even he could read the annoyance in his tight shoulders as he relayed the tasks for the day. There weren't much to do other than prepare for the feast tomorrow, which was also why Voronwë dismissed Feredir after he had been late for the fourth time and sent him to help somewhere else. Everyone had laughed at his crossed expression but nothing else happened.

The way Voronwë sometimes were able to copy Rüdhon's old expression whenever someone annoyed him and the glare he shot them, warning them not to try something was exactly like Rüdhon. Even I shuddered under the gaze as Feredir left us with a slight frown. With a frustrated groan, Voronwë took the first step back before we all began to head out into the forest. We had been charged with watching the eastern borders. It didn't take long to find the platform near the border, the open lands completely deserted before us. A part of me hoped that today would be uneventful enough compared to our usual patrols.