Prolouge

Disclaimer for whole story cause I'm lazy: I DO NOT OWN HAIKYUU OR IT'S CHARACTERS. I ONLY OWN ANY POSSIBLE OCs I MIGHT MAKE. (Which I probably won't....)

-_-_-_-_-_-

Volleyball is a sport played with passion, if you don't play with passion, you don't win. Passion can start in many ways, for Hinata Shouyou, It started with his father.

His father, Karasuno's little giant, who grew up to play volleyball for the olympics. His father, who taught him how to play Volleyball.

-_-_-_-_-_-

Late at night, two figures sit together on their patio, breath visible in the crisp, late autumn air.

"Oto-san?" The smaller figure with shockingly bright ginger hair, addressed the larger and darker haired figure.

"Yes Hinata?" The taller man smiled, his grey eyes warm and welcoming.

"Can I play volleyball like you someday?"

The grey eyed man chuckled, then picked up his son and set him on his lap.

"Someday, you will be even better than your tou-san." Hinata smiled, now with a bright, bubbly visage.

"But first..." the young boy's face fell a little bit. "You have to brush your teeth and get to sleep" Hinata sighed, before getting up and reluctantly trudging towards the house.

"Okay oto-san..." Stepping over the threshold and removing his shoes, Hinata made his way towards the bathroom, then resignedly plopped a bit of toothpaste on a moistened brush and started cleaning his teeth. Once finished, he went to his room and layed down, waiting for his father to tuck him in.

His Tou-san walked into the room, a smile on his face, then leaned forwards to tuck in his son and say goodnight. When finished, he placed a gentle kiss on Hinata's head and stated, "practice starts at 0900 tomorrow, I hope you won't be late." and left the room, leaving a stunned and happy eight year old in his wake.

-_-_-_7 years later_-_-_-

15 year old Hinata Shouyou sat in front of his 5 friends who he had convinced to be on the volleyball team temporarily so he could play a match. Mori, Kawashima, Suzuki, Koji, and Izumi all looked at him doubtfully as he tried to cheer them up, they were currently at their first match, against an unknown opponent.

"Come on guys we can do this! We finally get to play an official game!!!" Hinata called to them in excitement. Izumi looked nervously around.

"I dunno Sho-chan..." he started. "A lot of these guys look really good and REALLY big..."

"Nahhh, there's nothing to worry about, we're all great! Besides, we should be having fun, it's our FIRST OFFICIAL MATCH!"

"I guess so..." Just then, the opposing team entered the gym, and all hope for Yukigaoka Junior High became practically non-existant.

"S-So TALL" stuttered Hinata, who then noticed his teammates' worried faces. "N-no worries! what we lack in height we make up for in talent, right guys?"

No answer. They all silently watched the other team warm up...

"W-wow.."

"we're doomed..."

"we're never gonna win..."

"GUYS" hinata got their attention and smiled. "If you think you will lose you might as well not even play! It is better to try our best in a way that no one can put losing against us, or give up and let the other team win without resistance, and hurt our pride!" a few players looked a bit better after that declaration, but the majority was still nervous.

"WE CAN DO THIS!" It was time to start the match

~~~~~~~~~Match is the same as in the anime~~~~~~~~

The Yukigaoka Junior High boy's volleyball team trudged out of the gym, tired and defeated.

Koji sighed and walked up to a silent Hinata. "What did you expect? They're candidates for the nationals." Hinata looked up at him.

"It doesn't matter if they're strong or weak. The bottom line is whether we win or lose... We lost, not just the game but our ability to play volleyball in a match until highschool." His eyes glowed with determination. "But that doesn't mean we should give up, we still have highschool to improve and become good enough to go to nationals, maybe even the olympics!"

Koji and Izumi smiled. Then, Izumi said, "That reminds me, where are you planning to go to highschool, Hinata?"

"My Dad's old highschool, Karasuno!"

~~~~~~~~~~a few months later, 3 weeks before the first day of highschool~~~~~~~~~~

"O-Oto-san?" Bright, watery hazel eyes looked down at his non responsive father, who had saved him by sacrificing himself as a human shield during the impact. Sirens could already be heard in the distance where the police and ambulances were arriving from. The two figures were on the ground, fires starting to sputter out near them due to the light sprinkle that had recently started, and broken bits of metal scattered around them from the car crash...

Puffs of air were only visible in front of one figure, though.

The second died with fire in his eyes and a smile on his lips.

This is the night that Hinata Shouyou's passion died.

-_-_-_-_-_-

Volleyball is a sport played with passion, if you don't play with passion, you don't win. Passion can end in many ways, for Hinata Shouyou, It ended with his father.

His father, Karasuno's little giant, who grew up to play volleyball for the olympics. His father, who taught him how to play Volleyball. His father, who died protecting Hinata.