By You (3)

No matter how hard I tried, the constant tossing and turning couldn't block the sunlight that shone straight through the sheer curtains. I just wanted to sleep, but by knowing it was light out, my body wouldn't let me.

I woke up in a haze, everything was in fragments and my mind quickly tried to piece it all together. How did I get in bed? What time did I go to sleep? These questions and more got me thinking.

Snatching a jacket that was thrown to the side, I slipped it on and shuffled down the steps to the bar for some water. Turning the tap on and looking around the room nearly scared me half to death. I stared into the mirror that sat behind the wall of liquor, examining the birds nest on my head and the smeared makeup that made me look as though I came back from the dead.

"Mornin." I heard a slurred voice behind me. Turning to see Romeo holding his head in his hands and groaning over a massive hangover was unfortunate, yet funny to see. I placed a glass of water and a few tablets for him to take, hopefully it would be enough. He glanced up and raised his glass as a thank you while downing the medicine.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes, taking this as a chance to wake up and gather our minds for the day ahead. "Hardly got any sleep last night with that drunk Murph running his mouth." Romeo said out of the blue. I looked over to see him already staring.

"I'm surprised he didn't collapse."

"Nah, he was too busy rambling on about his undying love for the one and only Lindsay." My heart nearly dropped while my eyes went wide and my thoughts froze after that statement.

"Yeah, okay." I said in hopes of dropping the subject, but Romeo continued.

"He's got it bad." He took another sip of his water and slowly nodded his head, trying to convince me. "Kept saying how nice you were, smart, beautiful."

"He drank too much, didn't know what the hell he was saying." Laughing through an awkward smirk, I prayed this conversation would be over. Remembering last night and trying to lock it away apparently didn't work.

Just then a door was heard opening off to the side, revealing a tired Conner stumbling over to take a seat at the bar. "Not that much." Romeo finished with as he took his glass of water and left the room.

It was as if time flew by. The guys were out all day and the bar was closed. The hours were spent cleaning and fixing things that needed maintenance.

It was in that instant that everything changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Gunshots were heard and glass shattered as each bullet smashed through the stained glass windows tot he opposite side of the bar. Chipping tables, chairs and denying practically everything else in the store. I dropped to the floor behind the counter and gripped the back of my head, covering my ears to a degree.

All of a sudden the gunshots stopped.  The atmosphere fell silent and the only sound that could be heard was the short, rapid breaths that escaped my lips.

The door slammed open, smacking into the wooden doorframe, causing more glass to shatter. Footsteps slowly stepped over the shards, occasionally crunching on the fragments of glass.

Fear coursed through my body, and I had no one here to look to.

Whoever it was that destroyed the bar, took their sweet time analyzing everything.

I shoved my hands flush against my mouth in hopes to stop the panicked breathing that I was giving, only to make me more nervous about the whole situation.