Chapter 19: Dealing with Aftershocks

Start from the beginning

"So that means no."

"Is that the answer you want to hear?" She finally turned up her neck to see him, shaking her head as she found herself at the aftermath of defeat. Whatever she was fighting off, whatever she was pushing back deeper into her chest for weeks finally won last night and she was dealing with the consequences, "Is that what you want to get out of this? No, I guess I'm not. I'm stuck to a bed and I'm reduced to punching windows instead of doing my job."

Steve sat forward, elbows on his knees as he tried to explain, but lately that hadn't been working so well, "I just want to help... I don't know, I really don't know."

He just didn't want her to be in pain. Her denying that hurt just made it worse.

Sienna slumped back down, hands going up to her dark hair, which was definitely in need of a brush. She raked her nails through tangles, voice masking her desperation as she settled for a slight icy anger, "Well, we saw how that turned out last time."

Steve let the words dissipate before he spoke again, feeling some need to explain himself, but repressed it. Arguing wouldn't solve anything now, "I don't want this to become a fight again."

"Neither do I." She shook her head, but she was lying to herself on that one. Maybe she didn't want to bicker with him, but she wasn't going to back down because of that fact. Her next sentence proved that, "but that option left when you brought up my mother."

There was that familiar silence, surrounding both as they seemingly held their breaths. Both had thought over how they'd make this up to the other, explain their point. Each had tried to develop of something to say. Sienna had decided to at least attempt to confront that particular problem, but this most likely wasn't the best way to deal with it.

The accusation set in, Rogers having to think carefully before responding to it. Sienna had leaned forward once more, observing what the effect exactly was and how he would react. It wasn't a surprise to her when he did, "Look, I don't know what happened there. I don't know why I brought it up-"

And Sienna grabbed that bait as soon as she saw it, tired of his dodging of the question with pointless answer, "Yes, you did. You saw the video, never asked me about it. You were afraid of the answer."

"I didn't want to upset you, not after what you went through."

She rolled her eyes at that, set in her head of what she had perceived through long processes of thought and basic insight of how she knew his own actions worked, "No Steve, you're using that excuse again. Seeing that video changed how you saw me, how everyone saw me. A girl who accidentally killed her mother. You were scared of that truth for too long, and it came out."

"I was worried." His voice rose, not really meaning to. The term 'accidentally' affirmed what he had assumed for awhile, and it brought an ease to him. She had answered something that had been bugging him for weeks on end, perhaps mistaken or voluntarily, "I just wanted to know more about your past, possible threats. Yes, I did get frustrated and it did come up, and I'm sorry."

Sienna just shook her head more, this time she herself not getting the response she was expecting, "No, stop. Stop dodging it. You're making excuses and being stubborn-"

"I'm being stubborn?" Steve pointed his index finger at himself, surprised and put off before turning his aim at her, "You're the one who can't seem to wrap your head around what I'm saying, which is the truth-"

"And I know it's not." Both tones reached higher, but neither of them had resorted to yelling yet. Sienna tried to rein in whatever self-control she had left, softening her voice ever so slightly. Despite her obvious obstinance, the last thing she wanted to do was push her partner farther away, but also was thoroughly convinced of her own opinion, "Steve, all you need to admit is what really happened. I'm sure your intentions are good, but seeing that video changed how you looked at me. I just want honesty from the one part of my life I always thought it was guaranteed."