Chapter 28: Spinning In Place

Recap: Brandon's super-powered team tries desperately to locate the Samsara agents who are somewhere in Chicago working on a new version of their genetic virus. Meanwhile, Agent Corrales and his team grow increasingly impatient about working with Brandon, and things grow dangerously tense on the streets of Chicago as people are kept in the dark about the danger they face.

Brandon learns where a group is planning protests for the next day, and is worried it could cause the already tense situation to explode. But is it better to try and stop them, or will that be one more distraction pulling him away from finding Samsara.

Winning Choice: I leave my costume in place, and fly across the street to the coffee shop. Heads turn and jaws drop as they see me, which will help. I understand their fear, and I wish I could tell them the truth, but rioting will only hurt the city and give Samsara an easy target. I need to convince them to trust me and stop their plans.

"I see one of the groups you're talking about," I tell Tyler. "They're in a coffee shop trying to be covert. I'm going to have a chat and see if I can get them to settle down."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa..." says Cassie. "You don't want to bring a bunch-"

"We don't need more distractions while we're looking for the duplicates," I interrupt. "I'm not giving them all the crazy details, don't worry. But, Tyler, don't pass this on to Corrales. Everyone else, keep searching."

Flying into the air, I drift over traffic towards the coffee shop. Mask over my face, my nanobot costume shining in the morning sun, floating above the sidewalk, not a single person notices me. They're all talking or checking their phones. Awkward.

Finally a few drivers notice and brakes screech as they take their eyes off the road. This gets the attention of someone in the shop, a scrawny kid in a jean jacket covered with pins and metal studs. He drops his latte and lets out a small yelp. Everyone turns, their mouths falling open in disbelief.

That was the reaction I was hoping for. It's so tough to get a good audience these days.

The shop full of wide-eyed faces stares at me, and I'm not sure what the properly dramatic entrance should be. I don't want to just smash through the window and shower everyone in glass. So, like any normal super-powered patron, I land on the sidewalk and walk through the front door.

Just to add insult to injury, the door makes a cute chime.

Two dozen stunned faces follow me as I stride into the middle of the shop. It's a trendy place, all fake wood and cushy chairs. It smells of roasted beans and anxiety, and gives me a powerful hankering for an Americano. The awkward stares linger.

"I'm Brandon," I finally say.

"No shit," says a pot-bellied dude, dressed like he works in a bank. "We thought you were going to come crashing right through the window."

Everyone's a critic.

"Evidence to the contrary, I try to avoid knocking down buildings when possible. Which is kind of why I'm here..."

A woman near the back of the shop raises her phone above her head, the camera pointed my way. I waggle a finger at her.

"Don't..." I say, and she lets out an "eep!" and drops her phone like it's hot.

"...please," I add. "If you post this online, we'll be up to our eyeballs in cops before you can blink. I just need to talk with you, and you can do what you want after that. Okay?"

Heads nod. I dissolve my mask so they can see my face and the group circles around like it's story time... which I suppose it is.

I take a deep breath and lean in a little, causing everyone else to do the same. I want them to appreciate how important this is. I look around the table seriously.