Chapter 11

Erica's POV

"How's the superstar life treating ya so far?" Noah chuckled. His voice was slightly broken from the shitty quality of Skype.

"Holy shit, No. This place is fucking huge. And get this, it's only one of their summer houses. There's an indoor and outdoor pool, a media room with a couch for a floor!-"

"I'm guessing you're loving your stay" he chuckled. I let out a small chuckle with a half smile.

"Eh, I don't know, Noah. I mean, don't get my wrong, this place is great. But I just don't like the thought of living with Zayn again. I get a really bad feeling from being here." I said, nervously scratching my arm. My lower lip subconsciously pulled between my teeth, a habit I had when I was younger.

"Well, it's only been the first day. You'll get over-"

"No, Noah! This isn't something I can just get over! And you know damn well why!" I argued with him.

"He's your broth-"

"Do you really believe that if I could simply just 'get over' it so easily, I wouldn't have? I tried, Noah. I really did. But..." I tried to calm down my now erratic breathing.

The topic brought back many flashbacks. Many terrible flashbacks.

I harshly bit my lower lip to try and hold back my tears, but I couldn't help but let a few spring from my eyes. And those little tears soon turned into a sob.

"Hey, hey, Erica. Please, Rica, please don't cry. You know I can't stand seeing you cry" he said softly.

"I can't, Noah" I gulped, shaking my head. "I'm sorry. I'm really trying to do this for your sake, but... I can't. What happens when the flashbacks come back? The nightmares? Noah, I need you here with me-"

"I will be there for you, Rica. I'm just a phone or video call away." He said. "I know that you're scared that they-"

"I'm not scared!" I snapped at him. "I'm not." I said much more calmly, but with a firm voice.

"Fine. I know you're worried that the past might repeat. But he's really making an effort here" he explains.

I didn't speak after that. I couldn't. I didn't have anymore that I wanted to say. I saw that he was making an effort, but that doesn't mean anything. I know Zayn's true self better than anyone.

"I gotta go, Noah. Later" I said, not giving him a chance to speak before ending the call. I shut my laptop and pushed it aside.

I heard a faint knock at my door, but chose to ignore it. But apparently my silence was a clear enough message, because right after, the bedroom door was opening.

I looked at the entrance to see Niall walking in. When his eyes landed on mine, he gave me a faint smile. "Hey" he said shyly, walking a bit further in.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked him, wiping any stray tears that were still on my cheeks.

"I could hear you from my room. Is everything okay?" He asked me with concern.

"Fine" I said simply, lying down to face away from him. I heard his footsteps growing louder as he walked closer towards the bed.

"You can talk to me if something's bothering you, Erica" he tells me. I could feel the bed dip slightly, indicating that he had taken a seat.

"And what makes you think I would trust you?" I say, but it came out much harsher than I intended. I let out a sigh, and sat back up to look at him. "Sorry" I mutter.

"Are you homesick?" He asked me. "Miss your parents? Friends?" Once again, the question went unanswered. "Does it have to do with Zayn?" He asked me.