The humilliation method

How do you approach the subject of your best friend possibly being romantically attracted to you when you don't have that sexual preference?

I couldn't tell anyone about Avis and I's romantic encounter, as I didn't know how far it had gone after everything faded to black. I wondered if she remembered it either.
All that kept replaying in my mind was her warm breath against my neck as I slowly drifted away. And that musty aroma that made me certain that she was the one that kissed me that night. After all, I couldn't see her face, but it had to be Avis.

On Monday morning I had class with her. Perhaps it was the right time to ask her what had really happened at that party. It was my fault in the long run; I was in too much of a vulnerable state to have not been taken advantage of, I supposed.

When my eyes met with hers on that Monday morning, I gulped nervously. However, she seemed extremely unfazed.
"Morning." She smiled, giving me a hug. I felt her breath against my neck again and it brought memories back. I pulled away quickly.
"Hey, Avis. I need to talk to you about this weekend." I stuttered nervously, attempting to make myself come across as less terrified.
"Me too! So much happened, it was such a good night." She exclaimed, walking into the lecture room, I followed her.
"Did you get up to much?" She smirked, nudging me slightly. I frowned to myself, was that a hint about what possibly happened between us?
"I...no-i mean-did you?" I mumbled, shakily retrieving my notepad from my rucksack.
"Well yeah!" She winked at me, giggling to herself.
Anxiety and confusion bubbled up in my stomach, I stared right into her eyes. Mine were frustrated.

Suddenly I blurted it out, "Avis I know you kissed me!" I yelled.

The students around us turned their heads, staring awkwardly at Avis and I. I diverted my gaze and looked back at Avis who was shaking her head at me in disbelief.
"What are you talking about?" She growled. I could tell she was hurt, her eyes turned downwards when she was about to cry.
"You kissed me. At that party, didn't you?" I said, more calmly.
"No. I didn't August." Avis yelled, squinting to fight back the tears of embarrassment.
"No, you did. I could smell that boyish spray." I kept pushing, still adamant that Avis had been the one to kiss me that night.
A tear slipped out of Avis' eyes, rolling softly down her freckles cheeks.
"August are you even listening to me? I went home with someone last night. You were dancing with some boy, so I'm guessing it's him you're looking to humiliate. Not me." She shouted, then glaring a everyone around us. They turned away.
"Oh, Avis. I'm sorry." I sighed, watching tears spill from her eyes.
She rose from her seat and ran out of the class, barging the professor as she charged away.

All eyes turned to me, including the professor's.

I jumped up and ran after her, leaving my belongings behind in my rush.

Avis was sat in the study lounge, dialling a number into her phone when I arrived.
"Avis." I said, shyly.
Her eyes didn't flicker my way, but she placed her phone on the table.
Again, I called her name, "Avis. I'm so sorry."
"Are you?" She looked up at me, her eyes full of tears. They weren't angry tears, they were just there, making her eyes glimmer.
"Yes. I just think I kind of wanted it to be you, because I don't know how far someone took advantage of me last night." I sighed, sitting next to her and grabbing her dainty hands.
Her fingertips were painted silver, with small black dots. However there were gaps at the bottom where she had bitten her nails, a habit I had grown to accept of hers.
She sighed at me and looked at me with those beautiful eyes.
"Okay, well let's just forget this whole thing. We need to figure out who took advantage of you last night because that's sick." She nodded.
I pulled her into a hug, she squeezed back.